nat gas hotwater heater flame too high and roaring

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouvakis

Reaction score
the last 2 hotwater heater i have installed one a lp on nat have a problem that the burner roars and the nic blue flame seems to be way to high. one is one of the last old open burner chamber models, and other is newer closed burner with little glass window to see main burner flame and pilot flame with push button igniter. two different location - neither the lp furnace or the lp water heaters in my house has individual regulators what goes???? thanx for your interest. :confused: bh

oh yeah i almost forgot. i have to almost shut the manual gas valve on the supply line off to reduce the flame to something that looks reasonable and doesnt roar. recovery time with "reasonable" flame is not abnormal. bh

I'm guessing a regulator may be needed if the orifices are correct. Is it possible to contact the W/H companies for clarification?

Also keep in mind that a 40,000+ BTU burner on a newer hot water tank is going to have a more brilliant appearance than an older HWT burner.
With any concern it is always best to shut it down first then have somebody look at it and determine if there is a problem as the others above have stated.
I have had customers make the same comment on a new HWT and checked pressure/water column to find that all is well.
Safety first, though. Shut it down.

Latest posts

Back