Mystery bath towel in my sewer pump??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ummmwhat

Reaction score
Ok folks I've got an odd situation here. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome!

I was getting that nasty sewer smell coming out of my pipes so called the local sewer co. to come check it out. They pulled the lid off the pump/grinder outside my house and it was full of backed up nasty water! Then they pulled the hardware out and a FULL SIZE BATH TOWEL was all tangled up in it?!?!? The worker said "how the heck did that get in there?"
They replaced all the hardware and all is good now(except for they are charging me for the work).
My question is how the heck could this have even happened?
I live alone and I'm not missing any towels so I know it didn't come from inside the house. At least not in the 6 years I have lived here. The towel appeared to be fairly decomposed so it has been in there for a while.
My theory is that a sewer co. worker left in in there when they fixed a problem a few years ago. The towel is way to big to have ever fit in a toilet line and there are no exit lines going out of my house that are any bigger than that.

It's a city wide connected system. There is a pump/grinder that is outside each house that sends it all to the main lines. Sorry I'm not too familiar with this kinda stuff so might not be using the best terminology.

Back