Mysterious pipe in the back of my building. Boston, MA 100yr+ old building. Old catch basin? Any thoughts?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shemer

Reaction score
We have what looks like an old catch basin behind our 100+yr old building in Boston. Here are some pics .

Would like to hear your thoughts on this. Is it a catch basin? Would love to repair/inspect/clean it. Can anyone recommend a contractor. Also, does the Boston Water and Sewer Commission need to be involved?

Thanks!

can you follow it in the house,i used to do lots of work,in jamaica plain, dedham,hyde park, the towns were having us reroute the down spouts from the house onto the lawn,because they were connected to the sewer inside the house,boston water and sewer, IS the one who got us involved
,i have worked for another company and we surveyed
houses in revere and if we found sump pumps connected to the sewer,we had to write them a violation .
so follow it inside the house and see were it goes...
vac out that pit and see what else is in there

can you follow it in the house,i used to do lots of work,in jamaica plain, dedham,hyde park, the towns were having us reroute the down spouts from the house onto the lawn,because they were connected to the sewer inside the house,boston water and sewer, IS the one who got us involved
,i have worked for another company and we surveyed
houses in revere and if we found sump pumps connected to the sewer,we had to write them a violation .
so follow it inside the house and see were it goes...
vac out that pit and see what else is in there
Thanks for the response. We are located in JP! Just vacuumed it out before it rained. Below the capped end is an open outlet. Please see my crappy sketch of what I saw before the rains swooped in.

Attachments

• 81DC9953-27EE-4258-8DCD-A01F7BC77B1C.jpeg
    81DC9953-27EE-4258-8DCD-A01F7BC77B1C.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks for the response. We are located in JP! Just vacuumed it out before it rained. Below the capped end is an open inlet. Please see my crappy sketch of what I saw before the rains swooped in.
well its raining now check your main drain, if your not using anything, and its cold that pipe is probably connected
to your sewer line follow it and see were it connects in the house, i think there was a program at that time to have the gutters and sewer separated not sure if it cost the home owner

well its raining now check your main drain, if your not using anything, and its cold that pipe is probably connected
to your sewer line follow it and see were it connects in the house, i think there was a program at that time to have the gutters and sewer separated not sure if it cost the home owner
The hole is definitely draining water through the outlet below. Can’t verify if it’s connected in the house since I’m not home.

Last edited:
Is this in a stairwell? It’s pretty popular for older homes here to have that same set up so the stairwell doesn’t flood. Normally attached to the sewer or out to a French drain

I used to have that type of basin at my old house.
It was like a mini septic field for the kitchen sink only.
Every 15 years or so, a big hunk of grease and soap needed to be cleaned out of it.
There should be a cover over that.

If it is that type, it is probably abandoned by now.
Run the kitchen sink, and look for any flow into that basin.
Or add strong food coloring into your sink water, see if that shows up there.

Is this in a stairwell? It’s pretty popular for older homes here to have that same set up so the stairwell doesn’t flood. Normally attached to the sewer or out to a French drain
Outside back porch.

I used to have that type of basin at my old house.
It was like a mini septic field for the kitchen sink only.
Every 15 years or so, a big hunk of grease and soap needed to be cleaned out of it.
There should be a cover over that.

Interesting stuff!! It is not collecting any flows other than storm water through the outlet below drawn in my sketch. Not connected to kitchen sink either. But maybe connect to toilets/sewage since I heard flushing sounds come from the pipe.

Maybe it’s a drain clean out? Definitely needs a cover! Do you know where I can get one? It’s 24”x24”

Flush a toilet and listen for water flowing through it. If not run a hose into it and see if it drains good.
It sounds like what is being said, a floor drain. You can buy grates online.

I think they were often pre-cast to match the box.

You could make one from pressure treated plywood or decking, with some pressure treated 2 x 6 boards underneath as support, running opposite way if under decking.
Leave an inch or so lip all around the upper edge to hang it.

I agree with TomF

If you run a hose into there and it never fills up, then just get a heavy grate to cover it.

Back