Musty smell in master shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan S

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a strange musty smell in my new shower. To me it smells like musty water. At first we thought the smell was coming from the drain. We have a Studor valve installed in a small "pony" 1/2 wall between our tub and shower. We had the Studor valve replaced but the problem persists. Also, I tried just pooring hot water down the drain and didn't really smell the musty smell. I've tried cleaning the floor tile with a scrub brush. The smell kind of smells like a musty chalky smell.
It comes and goes. Sometimes it is very strong.

I also tried removing the shower head and letting water run from the pipe. As far as I can tell the smell isn't coming directly from the water. I've had a plumber come out and check the shower valve and there are no leaks there.

It is frustrating because I can not identify where the smell is coming from exactly. My next step is going to be to clean all the tile and ceiling with a mild detergent to see if it something with the water interacting with a surface.

Any other ideas?

Is this a venting problem?? Is the Studor valve just too enclosed and doesn't have enough air to work properly?
How do I identify the true source of the smell? Why does it come and go?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Yes, tiled floor shower with small square tiles, walls are tiled with larger polished tiles.

What type pan is below the tile ? How was the shower constructed is what I’m asking now.

The Schulter system was used. I didn't do the install my self. The contractor did.
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0447___imported___A-job_2678.pdf
    11.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0446___imported___A-job_2674.pdf
    10.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0449___imported___A-job_2676.pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0448___imported___A-job_2677.pdf
    12.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0450___imported___A-job_2675.pdf
    10.6 MB · Views: 0
Take the drain cover off and make sure the trap is full of water. Do you smell this at any of your other faucets. By the
way your shower looks really nice.

Take the drain cover off and make sure the trap is full of water. Do you smell this at any of your other faucets. By the
way your shower looks really nice.
No, only in our shower.
How would I check if it has water in the P trap? I am not a plumber by any means. :)
I did snake and clean the drain with tube brush.

What do you suggest?
Thanks

You know studor vents require exposure to the atmosphere. Closed up in an airtight wall they don’t work.

But I’m not saying that’s your problem
Yes, that was one of our concerns. We actually had the Studor valve replaced because we though it might have been the problem and defective.
There is an access panel underneath (downstairs). There is some air that gets in there from that panel. But I agree, I would like it to have more atomospheric air to function.

Yes, that was one of our concerns. We actually had the Studor valve replaced because we though it might have been the problem and defective.
There is an access panel underneath (downstairs). There is some air that gets in there from that panel. But I agree, I would like it to have more atomospheric air to function.
Try leaving the door off and see if that works, if it does then change access panel or retrofit to allow air flow.

Last edited:
OK so here is an update. Today (and yesterday) I took a shower and the water takes a little time to warm up. Maybe 4-5 minutes into the shower I can smell the odor and then it seems to go away. This is an improvement on what it used to do which smell pretty much the whole time.

Ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks

That is the question :)
I haven't been able to identify where it is coming from.
Tonight I am going to try taking a shower with the drain covered to see if I can smell it at all. If I still can then I'll know it isn't a drain issue and likely
coming from the shower head. I've tried a bunch of things already to try and eliminate it but it is still present. Although, better and only lasts a minute or two.

Thanks for asking!

Just get a large clear container and fill it with hot water/then do the same with cold water but from your faucet, just because there still maybe mixing of hot and cold water it you use the shower

Just get a large clear container and fill it with hot water/then do the same with cold water but from your faucet, just because there still maybe mixing of hot and cold water it you use the shower
OK I'll try that. Good idea.

So, this is the 2nd time I tried just putting water in a pitcher both hot and cold and smelling it in a different location and there is no odor. What was strange is when I had the cold water on it was luke warm. Something to do with the Hans Grohe valve I have installed. I am going to eliminate the water as the source of the smell.

My next step is to take a shower with the drain plugged and see if I still smell it. It seems to happen more when there is hot water as opposed to the luke warm water (I couldn't smell it).

Latest posts

Back