Multi Story Stacks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question I'm hoping someone knows the answer to. I'm interested in the IPC code for stacks, and what kind of fixtures can connect. For instance, if I have a soil stack in a hotel that catches 4 floors of back-to-back guestroom toilets, am I allowed to also route the shower or lavatory into the same stack? Or would that create a venting issue?

If you are thinking you can run a shower or lavatory into a soil stack within the venting distance of the P-trap, like 8' for a 2" shower, without a separate vent line, no that is not allowed in IPC or ANY code. You have to have a separate vent line for each shower or lavatory that would run into a soil stack. The vent lines can be tied together and ran separately to the roof or to the vent stack provided they meet certain requirements.

OK. So I have a vent stack beside the soil stack that goes up 4 floors also and then ties into the stack vent. I can route the lavatory and/or shower into the same soil stack, and route a vent line from each of those trap arms up and tie-in to the vent stack at each floor, right?

Hi,
I have a question I'm hoping someone knows the answer to. I'm interested in the IPC code for stacks, and what kind of fixtures can connect. For instance, if I have a soil stack in a hotel that catches 4 floors of back-to-back guestroom toilets, am I allowed to also route the shower or lavatory into the same stack? Or would that create a venting issue?

You can on the top floor.

Back