Moving old iron radiator pipes. Need advice.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderosa3

Reaction score
Alright, so this forum has been very helpful thus far with my question on a drum trap... Now I have one last issue. I am removing a wall from my kitchen. Turns out the wall I am removing has old cast iron lines that run to the rads on the second floor.

The gallery of images can be seen here:

http://imgur.com/a/XooIH

The expansion tank line should be pretty straight forward... I can saw it out and reline in back to the basement where I can relocate it to a drain. Not really worried about that one...

It is the outlet line from the boiler that I am concerned about.

1. The 90 degree elbow and the T joint are corroded.
  2. What is the easiest way to remove?
  3. Should I just cut both lines off the 90 elbow and T and start fresh from that point back to the basement?
  4. Once in the basement should I use a union to retie back to the system?

If I need to unscrew the left over line if I do have to cut how can I loosen them easily? hammer? torch (safely of course!)?

Once I have rerouted these lines I can finish my electrical and get this buttoned up... but when I saw this line here I kind of got a little pissed to say the least. I hate messing with 80 year old pipe if I don't have to... but in this case I have no choice.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Cut pipe at boiler. Add union. Any removable object, boiler for instance should have a union for quick removal. And to get tight joints. One pipe wrench pinned on ground holding back, and loosen with another wrench. If that doesn't work then bring out the torch. Give it enough heat that you see the old dope on joint turn red when torch hits it.be sure not to over heat because the metal expands and will be even harder

Back