Moving my kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lstanley

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am working on remodeling my kitchen and need to move my sink. Everything is very straight forward other than how am I going to properly install a P trap. As of right now the sink is connected to the right vent pipe. There is a bathroom and laundry room above this area, I am not sure what pipes they are using, if it even matters.

Is there a different way other than hole sawing through the 6 studs that will be in my way and connect it to the pipe it is currently connected to?

If I put it in its new location, with the pipe in the wall, would it be sufficient to run the pipe horizontal for about 2 feet. Then drop it vertically into the basement and have it tie into the drain stack where the two current pipes are coming out of? Since it would still run vertical before venting, is this still considered a S trap?

To clarify it better I attached two pictures with the two options I am thinking about.

I appreciate any and all help!

kitchen.jpg

basement drain.jpg

basement.jpg

From what i see , unless you want to go through the floor straight down in the new location I would run it the way you proposed and drill through the studs .
But if I understand your drawing it looks like you want to connect it to a clean out downstairs , try to either cut in a wye , Twye above of below your clean out Just Incase you have any backups later , this is a good spot to snake it from .

Try and connect the vent at 42" off the floor so if you have a backup it won't be Dumping into your vent without you knowing about it and possibly causing a costly repair later.

View attachment 13149

he cannot do it that way, their is a duct and another line in the way

he will have to go under to the basement

and revent above ceiling to miss the duct work

Frodo, that could work. Just one little hick-up. There is a window going in the header opening above the sink, and it has to go all the way against the stud. I can run a pipe between the first and second floor if I could use a smaller diameter for just the vent to fit it in the same bay as the duct.

Also, running horizontally to the current vent is possible because I have 2x6 framing and the duct is narrow so I do believe I could run one behind it. Just seeing if there is any other way than cutting through 6 studs if possible.

Frodo, this looks like it could work. Thank you so much for the time and effort you took to help me.

When I tee into the pipe between the two floors, is there a certain tee I should use, and in what direction should it go. I havnt checked yet, but are both of those pipes drain/vent? What is preventing me from using the closer one.

Also all the preexisting piping is 1.5in id. Do I have to differ from that? And is possible to use a slightly smaller pipe that goes up and splices into vent. I know 1.5 is already pretty small. When you say 1.5 you are talking about the id, correct?

I forgot to ask, does it matter that the dishwasher will be on the right. Can I basically just reverse the exact p trap setup I currently have?

Back