Moving a toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShayneShepherd

Reaction score
I am moving my toilet about a foot to the left. I have removed the sub-floor and revealed the waste line which is running horizontally between 2 joists. The waste line however does not attach to a closet bend and then a toilet flange, but instead connects to a Y fitting with the split off going vertical to the toilet flange and the continuation of the fitting ending in a clean out cap.

This makes no sense to me as there is no access to any of this once the floor is replaced. However, it looks like it would be easier for me to remove the toilet flange and cap of the end of that part of the Y fitting and simply remove the clean out end cap, extend the waste line by a foot or so with 3" abs to a proper closet bend going vertical to the new toilet location vs. trying to cut the Y fitting out. Does this make sense and is this an acceptable idea?

....................______
.................... [ ] <----- existing toilet flange that I want to cut and cap
.....................| |
................ ___\ \_____
clean out-> ____________--->to septic
cap I want
to extend to new closet bend

Last edited:
If possible, I would cut the wye and cleanout assembly completely out and use a coupling to extend to the new location.

Truly these are words of wisdom sir. That is a no-brainer.

Latest posts

Back