moving a kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchenredo

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this one, but want confirmation. I can run pipes, but do not know code requirements. I am renovating my kitchen and want to move the sink. The new location has good access to install the new vent stack, but in order to install the drain in the wall, I would have to run it down into an HVAC plenum. I would turn the corner and exit the plenum right away. My guess is that this is not allowed by code, correct?? My next option is to not run the drain into the wall, and go straight down through the floor after the trap. This will miss the plenum. Is that allowed? Thanks for your help.

You can do it that way but you still need the vent, run the vent in the wall and use 45's to line it up with your drain, stay as close to the wall as you can.:)

You can do it that way but you still need the vent, run the vent in the wall and use 45's to line it up with your drain, stay as close to the wall as you can.:)

Can you please clarify:

1. Do you agree that the code will not allow me to run the pipe in the heating plenum? (I would really like to to it this way).

2. In my second option in the original post, I found out after reading online that I had described an "S" trap which is not allowed by any code.

3. So, are you suggesting I use a "P" trap, run it back as far as I can, then drain down (and attach to the vent as you suggest).

Thanks for your help.

Can you please clarify:

1. Do you agree that the code will not allow me to run the pipe in the heating plenum? (I would really like to to it this way).

2. In my second option in the original post, I found out after reading online that I had described an "S" trap which is not allowed by any code.

3. So, are you suggesting I use a "P" trap, run it back as far as I can, then drain down (and attach to the vent as you suggest).

Thanks for your help.

I wonldn't swear about running the line in the heating plenum, but if it is not against code it doesn't sound like a good idea

What I suggest is to run a pipe down CLOSE to the plenum, run it up through the floor, put a tee on it, come out of the center of the tee for your trap, use 45s to get the top of the tee into the wall, then install your vent.:)

Back