Moen shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
as part of my renovation of the downstairs shower, I'm replacing the shower valve with a nice new one. this new Moen valve will have the outlet that normally goes to the tub unused since it's just a shower. my question is whether that outlet should be plugged and with what? that new valve has "solder" fittings and the old valve I'm taking out also has "solder" fittings and the tub outlet on that one is plugged with some kind of plug that's not soldered in.so,does that Moen valve need a plug?

BTW: mod,I didn't know if this should go in my other thread about a CI P-TRAP so I just started a new thread.:confused:

Last edited:
Yes it does need to be plugged. A short piece of pipe with a cap soldered on the end is what I use.

yeah,tnx,I was thinking of doing that! I guess the "blockage" of that port tells the valve to send all the water out the "shower port". that blockage must be what's happening when in a tub installation you pull up that thingy on the tub spout. of course Moen must think everyone knows this so they don't even mention that you should plug the tub port in the instructions. (at least if it's there I didn't see it):confused:

You have a tub/shower valve. Yes, you can use it in shower only applications by capping the tub port, but Moen also sells a shower only valve, no capping required.

yeah,tnx,I was thinking of doing that! I guess the "blockage" of that port tells the valve to send all the water out the "shower port". that blockage must be what's happening when in a tub installation you pull up that thingy on the tub spout. of course Moen must think everyone knows this so they don't even mention that you should plug the tub port in the instructions. (at least if it's there I didn't see it):confused:

yes, they do assume that professionals installing their product knows this. If you have a threaded valve which is usually the type sold in box stores you can simply get a threaded plug.

You have a tub/shower valve. Yes, you can use it in shower only applications by capping the tub port, but Moen also sells a shower only valve, no capping required.

This variation is not usually sold in supply houses. It's not inventory smart. Not when one valve can be capped or plugged off.

Latest posts

Back