Moen Kitchen Faucet Disassembly Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendDaveInDiego

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new. I've read posts on this forum many times but this is my first post.

I have a roughly 15-year-old Moen kitchen faucet. It's a discontinued single-handle model with a pull-out sprayer. I don't have the model number. It still works great and doesn't leak, but has become difficult to swivel side-to-side.

Based on diagrams and videos about similar faucets, it looks like I just have to replace a couple of O-rings that are not pressure seals, rather just bearings. I'm trying to lift the vertical piece off, and I think it's held down by the white piece that I assume is a retaining ring. My questions are: 1. Is that correct? and 2. Is there a proper tool (i.e. square pin spanner) for that task? If not I can improvise one (I have access to machine tools and know how to use them.)

The white ring seems to be 1.875 inches major diameter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I'm including a thumbnail of the whole faucet in case someone can identify the model. Thanks in advance!

Moen_detail.jpgMoen_full.jpg

Contact Moen, they will probably send you a new faucet.
I've never encountered a major usa mfr who requires special tools on the top side like that. Usually, once the main retaining cap is removed, (water shut off below), the faucet spout body just comes off.

Moen might replace it if you're the original owner (or tell them you are). But if you want there are 2 notches in the darker ring of your picture that may be used to hold the spout in place. You can use a spanner that would fit into the notches and unscrew it, or use a good pair of needle nose pliers into the notches and use a wrench on the pliers to turn it counterclockwise.

Hi! I'm new. I've read posts on this forum many times but this is my first post.

I have a roughly 15-year-old Moen kitchen faucet. It's a discontinued single-handle model with a pull-out sprayer. I don't have the model number. It still works great and doesn't leak, but has become difficult to swivel side-to-side.

Based on diagrams and videos about similar faucets, it looks like I just have to replace a couple of O-rings that are not pressure seals, rather just bearings. I'm trying to lift the vertical piece off, and I think it's held down by the white piece that I assume is a retaining ring. My questions are: 1. Is that correct? and 2. Is there a proper tool (i.e. square pin spanner) for that task? If not I can improvise one (I have access to machine tools and know how to use them.)

The white ring seems to be 1.875 inches major diameter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! I'm including a thumbnail of the whole faucet in case someone can identify the model. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 30894View attachment 30895
https://www.us.kohler.com/us/mistos...roductDetail/kitchen-sink-faucets/1063816.htm

Contact Moen, they will probably send you a new faucet.
I've never encountered a major usa mfr who requires special tools on the top side like that. Usually, once the main retaining cap is removed, (water shut off below), the faucet spout body just comes off.

It’s a pull out spray faucet. You would need to remove the hose before the spout will come off or else it will interfere.
Of course after the retainer is removed.

Kohler will replace the faucet for free.

Thanks very much for the replies! Moen tech support was very helpful - They disavowed the faucet and said it was made by one of their competitors, which I figured out was Kohler. It's really been an excellent faucet, no leaks or clogging even with my hideously hard water.

I was able to get it working much better by lifting the body to partly expose the lower O-ring, and slathering some silicone grease on it. It's working pretty well but I'd still like to get it right. I still believe that the white thing is a retaining ring. I'll review diagrams when I have a chance. At age 63 I have learned how to work on things without breaking them.

Thanks again to all who have replied. I really appreciate it!

Back