Moen faucet valve installed incorrectly?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themovielife

Reaction score
I recently replaced a Moen bathtub posi-temp faucet cartridge (for a NON-push/pull handle) at my new house. I'm not sure what the behavior was before, but now the water is cold at 6 o'clock, (fairly) hot at 3 o'clock, off at 12 o'clock, and cold at 9 o'clock rather than off at 6 o'clock, cold at 3 o'clock, warm at 12 o'clock, and hot at 9 o'clock as it is supposed to be. What could possibly be wrong?

I'm not at the shower now but I think I just realized that the knob is simply on upside-down. I'll test when I get home.

You may also have installed the cartridge upside down.

The flat side of the stem goes up. If you are looking at the cartridge head on, the small tab with "H|C"" on the end should be facing up, the one facing down will be blank.

I can't seem to find a picture of a 1222 in order to show you, so I hope that description is clear enough.

Thanks for the reply, slowdrip. I'm almost positive that the cartridge was installed with H|C oriented properly and the flat part of the stem facing up. If I had installed the cartridge backwards, wouldn't that give different symptoms?

Slowdrip is probably right.
If the handle is on correct it it should be pointing down when off.
Turning it counter clockwise to 3 o'clock is cold, then 12 o'clock would be warm and 9 o'clock would be hot. If you have the white plastic scald guard stop installed in the trim tube it should stop at or before 9 o'clock.

Let us know if you fixed it it

moen_positemp11.jpg

Back