Moen bathtub handle backwards

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruhlms

Reaction score
I just installed a brand new moen bath and shower handle model 82603. Single handle with both tub and shower ( 4 way valve).

When I follow the directions on how the cartridge stem is orientated , the handle works backwards.

When I assembled the handle I followed the directions. Page 5 Steps 4.4 and 4.5. (Link to directions https://tinyurl.com/y4f2zzml )

I rotated the cartridge stem so the notch on the stem was facing down towards the drain ( should be the off position) . I attached the key stop, adjustable limit and the handle adapter. I ensured the ridges on the back of the adapter were to the left of the stop. I then attached the handle. The handle was facing down towards the drain in the 6 o'clock position.

I then turned the main water on to the house. The facet was on/ running water. It should have been off. When I rotated the handle counter clock wise it shut off when the handle was at the 12 o'clock position / facing up. I could then still rotate the handle counter clockwise to 9 o'clock and the water would turn back on.

I took apart the handle and rotated the stem so the notch was now facing up/ away from the drain. I put the handle back together . It now works how it should . When the handle is rotated CCW at 6 o'clock it is off, 3 o'clock it is cold , 12 o'clock it is hot/cold and 9 o'clock it is hot ( I drew a picture, see attached).

I ensured the four way valve was installed in the right direction and the cartridge was installed correctly with the H/C up.

Everything appears to be working correctly with no leaks. This is just very puzzling to me and wondering what could be the cause?

Do people think this Is okay to leave it like this even though the stem is backwards to how the directions explain? Or is there an issue with the cartridge that I should address ?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_171038690.jpg
    IMG_20210131_171038690.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210131_163239994.jpg
    IMG_20210131_163239994.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210131_163049441.jpg
    IMG_20210131_163049441.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
It sounds like the cartridge is installed upside down. The H/C should be up. This is for a 1222 posi-temp cartridge.

If the cartridge is in upside down it will have the symptoms you’re describing. Is the valve maybe installed upside down? On a 1222 cartridge the notch would be down for off when the H/C is up. If it is reversed flip the cartridge and see what happens.

Some valves are available with reversed hot and cold supplies, to make it easier to plumb two showers back to back.
Maybe you have a reversed valve?

So the valve is labeled up for the orientation and I installed it with that label up. I believe that it is installed correctly.

Let me ask this, to solve the issue I just rotated the stem so the notch is facing up. If everything is working correctly this way, do you think it is okay to leave it? In the long run will it cause any issues with the cartridge?

So the valve is labeled up for the orientation and I installed it with that label up. I believe that it is installed correctly.

Let me ask this, to solve the issue I just rotated the stem so the notch is facing up. If everything is working correctly this way, do you think it is okay to leave it? In the long run will it cause any issues with the cartridge?

Back