MOEN 1200 brass cartridge- should there be a screen in here?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valvashon

Reaction score
The flow from my MOEN shower valve had slowed to almost a dribble. I pulled the cartridge out last night and saw that it was clogged with more pipe leavings than I could reasonably clean without time and some CLR. Put it back in and went out to get a new one today. Opening it up I saw that it did not have the screen in it like my old one (the one on the right). What gives- is/was this screen part of the MOEN assembly at one time? This may be the original from 1961 and may never have been out of here. I can't believe that the screen came from somewhere else in my system and ended up in this cartridge. Or did somebody else stuff this in here before I moved in? Can I pull it out and clean it or pull it out and leave it out? Planning on putting a gasket kit on the old one so I have an "in orbit" spare. Thanks in advance for your answers.
IMG_4188.JPG

Have you checked your shower head for debris also??????
Yes- I took the head and holder off and there were no debris in that screen. So everything was caught at the cartridge. My question, is this screen necessary; can I pull it out and leave it out? Is it actually removable? Can I put it back in if I do pull it out? Why didn't the new one have a screen?

Latest posts

Back