minimum distance for toilet roughin or offset flange for cast?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amkaos

Reaction score
hi:
toilet:: what is the verry minimum distance from finished back wall for 12 center drain?
it looks like i will have 11 1/4" after tile..

i would also like to know about offset flange for concrete and how i get out the old flange etc..

should i look for one kind versus another?

how high should the flange be AFF?

i know nothing about plumbing and would really appreciate the help..

tahnx

i can put up a pic if it would help atall.

The easy answer is...12 inches. You might be able to find a toilet that is less, but standard toilets are designed for 10, 12 or 14 inches.

To put in an offset flange in concrete you need to chip out the floor and cut the old flange out.

MOST 12" toilets will set on an 11 1/4" finish. I have run into a couple of brands that are very tight at that measurement, but I have been able to get them installed. If you can move the bolts off center of the flange farther away from the wall, that will usually get you another 1/4".

I usually have the best luck setting the bottom of the rim of the flange directly on top of the tile. A little lower doesn't usually hurt, and at the worst you will need to use a thicker wax ring.

thanx very much for the replies..

does someone know the best source for a 2" offset flange for cast?
i see prices between 11$ - 50$ and dont know what the differences could be.
but i really want a better option than caulking the offset flange to the cast iron

Last edited:
this is floor roughed in.
blue chalk line is for new wall furr out .

1/4" plywood under toilet flange is for tile height.
i used 2" offset w/ rubber bushing and industrial sealing caulk.

this is so i can get as much room as possible between toilet and shower..plus i can now make all fixtures reveal equal... i needed another 1/2" off wall line to make sure i have room for tile etc.. it is now 12 1/2" off studs..
if i need more, please tell me now..

now, a master plumber told me how wrong i am for doing this.. im sposed to jack hammer the entire cast out..

i dont wanna reinvent the wheel.. i just want to drain a toilet..
if anyone has any suggs, i am open and its not too late till i pour concrete.

thanx

floor roughin .jpg

floor roughin wall .jpg

Latest posts

Back