Metallic shavings in tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cfinn

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Just a bit of background, spend a year being a plumbing apprentice 20 years ago so have a good understanding of plumbing systems, but dated.

So, 6 months ago I bought a house built in 1992, all copper and pex tubing. 2 months ago the electric hybrid GE crapped out. I replaced it with a gas water heater. Then I added a mini tank 4 gallen Bosch electric in my hot water line at the masterbath room (long distance run and 5 outlets in master). Also when I moved into the house in August I replaced the water softener, so that is new too.
It is city water decent city water they soften it some from the water plant.

After a few weeks of having my mini water heater installed magnetic shavings began to settle out in the bath tub after use. I have never seen anything like this before. So I called Bosch removed heating element replaced heating element then got replacement water heater from Bosch replaced I and within a week the shavings are back again.

Anything thoughts on what could be causing this, the system has no galvanized and the ground is good. Totally stumped here.

527004E5-2D72-4752-98E1-F5EA68A8831E.jpg

D31C89DA-76E4-4185-B14F-C44A18F16841.jpg

49FE7655-5467-4D5A-B2F6-06F4F616AB92.jpg

Well, I bypassed the water softener today to see if that will help..

Are you getting this at just the master bath tub or other fixtures as well? Are you getting this from the hot water only or cold water also? Check your toilet tanks for any debris. Fill your master bath lavs with hot water, check for debris, then fill with cold water, check again.

Put inline sediment filter after the mini heater. Be careful, most of them are not rated for high hot water temps. You can put another one on the cold side.

Sounds like its coming from the mini heater. It could be particles from the heat exchanger, not sure. What kind of tubing is the heat exchanger of the heater?

The masterbath tub is the only place we are finding this stuff. But I am assuming the areotors are catching it although none appear to be plugging up. It appears to be only the hot water side. The lines running to the water heater is pex and copper. This is a regular small tank water heater so no exchanger. It is connected in line with my main gas water heater. Thanks

Yeah this would definitely put my head in spin mode.

I would look at a filter for after the mini heater. I would inspect the inside of the mini heater to see what kind of material is used on the coil, the piping that gets heated up.

To me, the culprit seems to be the mini heater, unless your missing the debris coming through other fixtures and just don't catch it or see it. The size of the debris your showing would easily clog up an aerator. Check your toilet tanks and see if there is anything in the bottom of the tanks.

Bypass the mini heater and see if things improve or put a high temp filter after the heater, like one with a metal casing. You can also take the debris to a lab to have it tested to find out what kind of material they are.

Thank you and keep us updated!

have you mentioned this to Bosch????i think I would install
strainers anaballvalves on the outgoing hot lines and see how long it continues

Last edited:
Back