Max drain pipe length and 90 degree elbow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javix1987

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum, but I have a couple questions related to my basement kitchen project. My project is located in Calgary Alberta, so it should comply with nation plumbing code of Canada...

General background: I am moving my sink from its original location (at the existing vent stack), to another wall. The new location is 7-8 ft away from the existing stack and I am trying to avoid moving the stack, cutting into the basement floor, etc. This new location results in a corner which I'm not sure how to tackle. Also, I am planning on installing a dishwasher ~5-6 feet from the sink and tie-ing it upstream of my new sinks P-trap.

What is the maximum distance my sink drain pipe can be from the vent stack?
Do I need to change my short 90 degree elbow at the corner to a long radius 90, or must I use two 45 degree elbows? If I have to use 45 degree elbows, how close to each other can they be?
What slop do I need for this 7-8 foot drain pipe?
Does the height which my plumbing to the sink comes out of the wall matter? Currently it is well below the sink drain, ample room for connections but wasn't sure if this technically needs to be a specific height.
Should I tie my vent line to my 7-8 foot drain line to help with drainage?
Is my dishwasher location going to be a problem in itself, not being directly beside the sink?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Kitchen Plumbing 1.jpg

Kitchen Plumbing 3.jpg

thanks for the replies!

You can see from my pic, I clearly do not have the correct slop on my first attempt at the new drain piping.

This drain is 2" piping so I am good on the max 8' drain line. If I needed I suppose I could drain from the left sink instead of the right sink as it is set up now. I figured if I drain from the right sink, the dishwasher drain line wouldn't need to be as long to tie in.

Any comments on the 90 degree elbow in the corner? I think I have read that I can't use 90 degree elbows when tieing in 2 drain lines (except for the 90 elbow immediately behind the sink in the wall cavity), that I need to use 45 degree elbows? Maybe I can use a 90 degree long radius bend? The studs are 2x6" so I think its manageable.

Latest posts

Back