MAPP or Propane?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAPP or Propane?

• Mapp

• Propane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luckrider

The Grand Poo Yah
Professional
Reaction score
So what do you guys use when you do any sort of soldering? Do you use MAPP or propane? If you use MAPP, do you use the popper click-start (whatever you call the trigger starter) nozzels, or do you use the same basic turn know and lighter ones for the propane tanks?

I personally prefer the MAPP. It heats the copper much quicker, and makes soldering much easier. I also just use the regular turn knob nozzle. We have found that there isn't really a good reason that justifies spending the extra $40 for a little trigger when a lighter is just as good.

I prefer Mapp. Regarding the trigger igniter, I guess that would depend on how often you use it. If one of my hands are needed to hold a copper pipe, and only one hand left to hold and light the Mapp, then it would be invaluable. That's my 2 cents.

Mapp with the self igniter.
I would never go back to the old nozzles after using one of these.

I use acetylene. I have an "M" tank that I carry into small jobs and a "B" tank for backup or the bigger jobs.

I use the Prestolite tank (sometimes called a B tank). Has 25 foot of hose. No trigger ignition. When you get into a tight spot, having the tank connected to the nozzle can be a pain. I have used the propane for 3/4" and smaller joints.

acetylene "B" tank for 1- 1/4 & up
Mapp w/ Bernzomatic TS4000 for 1 -1/4 & below.
it'll do 1 -1/2" but it takes a little longer

I have it in it's own box with soldering supplies and tools.
TS8000 is nice because you can adjust the flame but I just use my trigger finger to throttle the flame. Sometimes the flame is to hot for work inside a wall or confined places.

Last edited:
Yeah... sounds like some of you guys are doing a lot of copper work. The worst situation I have been in (lack of space) was easily remedied with a 1/4" chunk of wood to protect the tub we were installing. We haven't really dealt with those projects that require anything but a can of heat, and mapp is the faster heat.

Mapp, quarter turn on/off button. Turn to unlock, push to light. I use it more for starting burn piles than anything else. I burn all our cardboard, dead limbs from all the oak trees etc. Since I quit smoking twenty some odd years ago, I don't carry a lighter.

When I was doing installs years ago, all inside plumbing was copper (those of us who cared anyway, poly was ugly) and I used Mapp then too. Propane was too cold and I was always in a hurry.

I also like mapp the best. Gets hotter quicker. I also like using the small mapp bottles with the turn nob and a 4ft hose. Like to use it best under bldgs and on high ladders when I don't want to lug a B bottle all under the bldg.

Back