Mansfield Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowaxhack

Currently in the Lab conducting research
Professional
Reaction score
I have a 1.6 Mansfield toilet with 2” flushvalve tower and it has a fluidmaster ballcock installed.

Every few minutes the ballcock will turn on and refill a little water into the tank.

The flushvalve has been replaced and so has the seal on the flushvalve.,

No change.

What could it be ?

TWH is the water level going down to make the fill valve kick on??? Or is it just coming on for no reason

Why don't you try a new Mansfield red seal and see if that stops it. Its hard to tell another professional plumber what
to try to do. LOL. Did you spin the seal to make sure it is in the groove all the way. This is stuff I do on Mansfield toilets.

Why don't you try a new Mansfield red seal and see if that stops it. Its hard to tell another professional plumber what
to try to do. LOL. Did you spin the seal to make sure it is in the groove all the way. This is stuff I do on Mansfield toilets.

Yes, the flushvalve was replaced after 2 seals failed to stop the leak. A new seal was also placed on the new flushvalve.

Leak remained the same.

Yes, the flushvalve was replaced after 2 seals failed to stop the leak. A new seal was also placed on the new flushvalve.

Leak remained the same.
hairline crack maybe in bowl to trapway

Thats a puzzler. It has to be leaking somewhere on that flush valve. How about the piece that sits on the
seal is that smooth on the bottom.

You know how on a Mansfield flushtower the refill hose gets pushed into the top of the tower ?

A fluidmasters refill hose must be kept above the water level in the tank or it will siphon water from the tank to the bowl and cause the ballcock to cut on and refill after a few minutes.

When the refill hose is pushed into the top of the tower it can create an airtight seal. This part of the tower is solid plastic with any holes. So this effectively extends the hose to below the water level in the tank.

To stop this I drill a small hole in the tower to give it air and stop the siphon.

I drill a tiny hole where the red dot is.

Last edited:
When I was 15 yrs old I rebuilt a neighbors toilet from 9am one morning until 2pm.

I put 5-6 flushvalves in it and probably a case of flappers.

My father ( a plumber ) came home from work and I told him about the problem.

He said “ do you have the refill hose above the water level with the clip ? “.

Holy crap…..no, I pushed it down into the overflow tube. It was siphoning the tank through the refill hose. He had it figured out in 2 seconds.

Simple things that you don’t think matter can very well matter, a lot.

So, now I understand why the hole is drilled. You are essentually breaking the vacuum, and stopping the siphoning effect?

Back