Main stack backup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaster

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just discovered this forum because of this problem but this a great resource & I am glad I found it.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I discovered that my stack has backed up. More specifically it is the Y at the bottom on the floor. It appears that the cap has been popped off and it it is definately blocked after some tests and the water is coming out the open Y. I was hoping that maybe someone could, well, not really diagnose the problem but point me in the right direction.

A little history if it helps. It is a 100+ yr old, 2 family flat that I had lived in for over ten years and I am now trying to rent out. I have had two backup problems before but both came up through the floor drain. It was rooted the first time (~5-6 yrs ago) and I used a main line clearer the second (~2 yrs).

My question is; does this sound like a lateral line problem or something more serious? I was thinking about calling a plumber but was wondering if I should have it rooted again first.

Thanks in advance for your help

I would call a plumbing service company to first clear the blockage, and then camera the line to determine the cause of the problem. Having a clog problem that often does sound rather suspicious.

in older installations the Trunk line of the building sewer is often made from Vitrefied clay, Over time Roots from trees and the likes Are attracted to the pipe and they will often Grow into the pipe for the easy ( but disgusting ) water supply, thus choking off the drain. if this is indeed the case then I suggest annual Augering of the main line as it will continue to do this. Is this problem occurring mostly in the fall ?? this is typically when this kind of thing happens as the trees roots dont grow really in the winter, unless you live sokewhere that is warm year-round. The more involved and more expensive alternative is to have the building sewer replaced with modern materials such as Sdr drainage line or Slimline, as the roots cannot break through this material.

You can lift the lowest toilet off the floor and snake that line going into the septic. obviously there is a blockage there.
Remember to go and buy a wax seal to use when replacing the toilet. If that did not work you may also remove an upstairs toilet and snake down.

Sewer Service

Back