Lukewarm Water from Shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Delta shower valve that doesn't put out enough hot water. I turned the stop all the way up, but the shower water is only warm. Is there a way to increase the temperature above the "maximum"? The cartridge I have looks like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-RP4607...im+kit+parts&qid=1551271578&s=gateway&sr=8-12
I don't have experience with Delta valves, since I only use Moen. With the Moen, there are two plastic rings that have gear like teeth on them. Their function is to limit the highest temperature that will come out of the valve. This prevents scalding. In any case, I would guess the Delta has something similar. Can you remove or turn the outermost sleeve on your cartridge? If so, try turning it, and then reinstalling that sleeve, and then reinstall the cartridge. If you now get enough hot water, you are done. If it is now less hot than before, remove it and turn the sleeve in the other direction, and reinstall.

What is the hot water temp? Check it at the closest sink. I run the water until it is hot, then fill a wide mouth thermos a few times, and check the water temp.

I’ve found houses where folks have turned down, the thermostats on the water heater to 120 or less. Which is great for preventing the toddlers from scalding them selves. But, doesn’t let th shower get very hot, for very long.

The water at the sink is hot and the water heater is set to 130. It is a new house and 2 of the showers (both Delta) do the same thing. The third shower will get hotter, but it is a different type

Its probably set to low . Get on-line and see how to adjust your model. Delta's are a little harder to adjust than the moen. You
can also get your paperwork out and see how to adjust it. You don't have to take the cartridge out or even turn the water off to do it.

I've already adjusted it to the hottest setting, but it just doesn't feel very hot.

Did you check it at the both the sinks and the showers with a thermometer? If you have the Delta set correctly, I cannot think of any reason why the water would be cooler at the shower.

The house is only about a month old. I have 2 Delta showers, both do the same thing. I have a third shower by a different manufacturer, but it doesn't have this problem. I took the tub spout off of one of the Delta showers to watch the water flow. When I first start turning the valve, the water flows pretty good and increase until I get about 3/4 of the way to hot, but then the water flow decreases the rest of the way. The water coming out of the spout feels slightly hotter, but it doesn't get nearly as hot as the water gets from the sink. I'm assuming that the shower valve won't completely turn off the cold side and allow only hot water to flow so I'm thinking that there's not enough hot water flowing through the cartridge to make the shower hot enough. Is there a way to increase the amount of hot water that the cartridge allows through?

Not an expert, but do plumbing in my rentals.

First - is the shutoff behind the wall in the fully on position? From your description, it suggests that it is only partially on.

Second - have you tried shutting off the valves behind the shower, removing the cartridge, turning the water back on for a few seconds (to blow out any debris in the line), and then reinstalling the cartridge?

There are not any valves behind the wall. I think the cartridges were removed when the water was first turned on, but I'll try to pull the cartridge to clear the lines. Since it is happening on 2 different showers, I don't think this is the problem, but it can't hurt to see.

If you can't turn off the water, I would not suggest removing the cartridge. You may be able to remove it and blow out the debris, but you will likely NOT be able to reinstall it with water blasting out.

Have you checked the basement for shutoffs on the riser pipes that lead to these showers?

Can you shut off the main as it comes I to the house?

I can turn off the water to the house, just not the individual fixtures.

Also take the face plate and handle off and check to see if there are built it shut offs on the faucet body.

I shut off the water last night and removed the cartridge, turn the water on to clear the lines and then reinstalled the cartridge. No change in temperature.

Latest posts

Back