Lukewarm water from ONLY ONE faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rficalora

Reaction score
I'm new here, so if this has been addressed, please point me to it. Searching I found this thread:
https://www.plumbingforums.com/threads/no-hot-water-in-only-one-faucet-in-the-house.2614It is eerily similar to my issue but unfortunately, it died out before a resolution.

I have one faucet (a kitchen faucet), that will get luke warm, but not hot. The rest of the faucets & showers in the house get hot.
We have lived with this since we bought the house about 3 years ago; it's time to fix it though!
In those three years, the faucet was replaced with a new faucet (simply for aesthetic reasons). The problem was the same with both the old & new faucets.

Under the sink there are three shut off valves; two on the left (one above the other). The upper one goes to the hot side of the sink; the lower goes to the dishwasher. The 3rd valve, which is on the right, goes to the cold water side of the sink.

With all three valves open fully, I get good pressure/flow on cold, hot, or mixed, but only luke warm water if the faucet is open on cold only. Cold only side runs cold.
Shutting off the cold water valve under the sink, I get no water on the cold side of the faucet. I still get luke warm water on the hot side and still get the same good flow.
Shutting off the dishwasher valve yields no change.

There is a faucet outside of the house immediately behind the skink & it has a soft rubbery type product insulating between the copper pipe & a larger hole through the brick, so thought possibly someone had added that faucet & somehow tied cold & hot together in the process, but that faucet runs cold only & flows well even when the under sink valves are all off. The sink still runs luke warm when the outside faucet is running so I don't think it's related to the problem.

The house is a 2 story with the hot water heater in the garage and this faucet is on the 1st floor 60' or so (straight line) away. The pipes run throught the walls & I'm guessing through the ceiling of the 1st floor/floor of the 2nd for 1st floor sinks/shower so can't follow them-- although, it did just occur to me that it's possible everything goes to the attic & then down the walls so maybe I can check there to see if I can find the pipes to check whether they are hot there. Not sure if that will tell me anything useful or not?

The two closest rooms with water are a downstairs 1/2 bath -- hot & cold work fine there.
And, a 2nd floor bathroom -- hot & cold work on the sink & tub/shower, but the hot & cold are connected backwards on the tub handle. I get hot when the faucet is set to cold & cold when the faucet is set to hot. I don't see how that could cause the problem; but, is it possible? Likely?

From a history perspective, I'm aware of the following:

1. Main water line was replaced because it was leaking where it came up through the slab.
2. There was some work done on that upstairs bathroom because inside a cabinet on the opposite side of the wall, the sheetrock was cut out & re-installed with visible sheetrock screws holding it back in (never taped/floated so I could remove it to look at it). I'm assuming the tub/shower fixtures were changed out when the prior owners were getting the house ready to sell but I don't know for sure what was done there.
3. There used to be a water softener in the hot water heater closet. It was leaking and my wife doesn't like the soapy feel to softened water so it was put in bypass mode & hasn't been touched since (other than dumping the water from the salt container)
4. There was an addition done just before we moved in - a downstairs Master bedroom/Master bath was added. I believe the builder tapped into a cold water pipe in the attic of the existing part of the house to get water to that room for that room. The Master bath has its own hot water heater so I don't think they tapped into any hot water pipes. We get good cold & good hot water in the Master bathroom.
Any of this provide possible clues to the luke warm water at the kitchen faucet?

What else would you recommend checking to figure this out?

Turn the cold water off to the water heater.

Now go to a hot water faucet and bleed the pressure off. The water should stop flowing.

Verify that is the case and let us know.

Did as you recommended - turned what I believe to be the feed line to the hot water heater off (see picture; picture is before I turned it off of course) and checked hot water at faucets inside the house. After opening hot water side of kitchen faucet, the water stopped flowing. Checked hot water at all other sinks and showers any none of them were flowing either.

I assume that says there's nowhere in the system where hot and cold are connected, right?

What's next?IMG_20220301_112947340.jpg

Last edited:
No ideas from anyone?

I am pretty stumped for how to proceed in diagnosing this.

Take the handle off and take a pic of the cartridge. It’s under the handle.

Do you know the brand of the faucet ? Any name underneath on the water supply lines or stamped any place ?

Slide that orange plastic piece to the right and your problems will be over.

It limits your hot water 🤡

Thought that was a Delta, we only have faucets. And one bld had Delta valve, they have been in 10+ years and they have not failed,that's a pretty easy way to adjust the temp,does that lever ever stick????, Must be time to change parts at that piont

Thought that was a Delta, we only have faucets. And one bld had Delta valve, they have been in 10+ years and they have not failed,that's a pretty easy way to adjust the temp,does that lever ever stick????, Must be time to change parts at that piont

It’s a temp limiting feature of the cartridge. Nothings wrong, it’s an option.

It’s a temp limiting feature of the cartridge. Nothings wrong, it’s an option.

Apparently that is not my issue. In the left position (where it is in the picture), the handle will move fully to the left side & I get barely warm water. When I slide the orange switch to the right it limits the handle to only go up in the middle or fully right to pure cold. In that position I never even get warm water, just slightly less cold water.

It is acting as if the hot water line is mostly blocked but, when I turn the cold valve off under the sink, I still get full good pressure if the faucet is put on full hot (handle up & left) & no flow if it's on full cold so it doesn't seem like there's any blockage in that hot water line.

Sorry about that, I got it backwards.

Replace the cartridge in that faucet.

If all of your other faucets get hot water and the hot side flow turns off at the kitchen when you turn the water heater off, it has to be the cartridge or your kitchen faucet is just so far away from the water heater the water cools off before it gets there.

Do you have a hot water booster tank under the sink or close by that could be not working that serves only the kitchen ? That’s all I can come up with.

Last edited:
You could disconnect the hot water to the faucet snd direct into a bucket and see if it gets hot. This would take the faucet out of the equation.

Does the dishwasher water get hot without the dishwasher heating it ?

I'll try the cartridge, but it was happening before I replaced the old faucet with this one so if it's the cartridge, it'd have had to have been bad from the factory. I suppose that happens though so I'll give it a shot. There's no hot water booster tank that I'm aware of.

Don't know yet if dishwasher gets hot; was hoping to find the answer before pulling it out to check it (I could disconnect under the sink, but I don't have an extra line to run to the drain so am thinking I need to pull the dishwasher out & disconnect it on that end to run water long enough to see if it gets hot.

I'll do that either tomorrow or Monday (still helping w/my wife's 98 year old grandmother so no time to do it today. Will update tomorrow or Monday with results.

Just disconnect the hot water line for the faucet and let it run into a bucket, you’ll just need to get a hose.

It’s not the cartridge if the problem existed before you replaced the faucet.

You have a circulating hot water system ?

No, there's no recirculating system on the house. Will be checking the hot water line to the sink and the rest me to the dishwasher tomorrow. Even though there are separate cut-offs for them, I'm assuming they are both off the same line behind the wall. But I'm going to check each one to see if either gets hot.

OK, I disconnected the hot side hose to the faucet at the valve under the sink. Ran that through another hose at close to valve full open into the sink drain for 5 minutes. Never got more than luke warm water.

Then, I disconnected the dishwasher line at it's valve under the sink (it's a few inches below & in line with the sink valve so I suspect they're off the same pipe but checked it anyway) . Ran that one for 5 minutes too. Same thing, never more than luke warm.

And, since earlier we shut off the water going into the hot water heater & that stopped all pressure/water from coming out of the hot water side of this faucet and all other faucets & showers in the house, I think this and the above rule out:
* I don't have a cold water pipe feeding into a hot pipe somewhere in the plumbing
* The issue is not with the cartridge or faucet

Does that sound correct?

It's hard for me to imagine that it's simply too far from the hot water heater because the hot water heater is only about 60' away and I get very hot water from a downstairs powder room that's closer to the hot water heater, but not more than 20' away from this sink. And I get very hot water in an upstairs bathroom that is even closer (horizontally.

I suppose, at this point, I could look in the attic again to see if there's anything there I missed.

Any other ideas?

Or, is it time to punt & get some sort of under sink heater?

Do you have a laundry valve,that can crossover,
The washing machine can also crossover, if had electric valves that open and close for hot and cold(laundry valve=single lever ) to open and close the water

Back