Low Water Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldernDirt

Reaction score
City of the Big Shooters - Chicago, Ill-ANNOY
I've asked this before but was not able to get back to this forum in a while and can't find my original post, so I'll try again.

I have a 14 year old 2 story home that never had any problems with water pressure. In the last few months I've had a problem, on both levels, with not being able to have two sources of water running in the house at the same time. If I use both showers the pressure drops to nothing, flush a toilet and the pressure drops, no two faucets on at the same time, no washing machine or dish washer on while taking a shower. Any two appliances/faucets or toilets flushed at the same time and the pressure drops to almost nothing.

Nothing has been done to the plumbing with the exception of a new hot water heater professionally installed last June (2017). I've opened and closed all main valves to make sure they're working. The outside copper line comes in through the foundation and appears to be 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Once inside it goes up to the ceiling and branches off to all the other rooms upstairs. The only thing on that line, other than shut off valves and a drain, is the water meter. I read the meter and noted the numbers, used no water in the house for 2 hours then compared the numbers to see if they'd changed, showing there would/could be a leak somewhere. The numbers remained the same so no leaks. I did have a water shut off valve in the parkway in front of my house that had sunk 3 - 4 inches below grade. I thought that may have had something to do with the drop in pressure, contacted the village, they came out, tested the valve, raised it back to grade and found no problem.

Call your water dept and ask them to check your meter to make sure nothing is plugged. They can test your water line coming
into the house to see if you have the correct water pressure. If everything is OK there then you probably have a plug in the main
water line somewhere.

Latest posts

Back