Low water pressure when opening irrigation valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hysperian

Reaction score
A little history: I have a Sta-Rite SLE-L 1hp hooked up to a single pipe 2” deep well installed by previous owners. The pump was short cycling with no valves open, losing pressure rapidly and then would cut on to gain pressure, rinse and repeat every minute or so. Irrigation system was still operating fine, but clearly there was a leak or faulty check valve. Power went out, came back on an hour later and miraculously didn’t lose prime. Next morning, the pump is off and breaker tripped. Turned on the breaker and pump is humming but motor wouldnt spin. I assume the pump ran for some time, dry.

Replaced capacitor and at the same time, pulled the packer. The leathers were clearly worn and upon inspecting the packer, there was no bottom jet in the packer (how was this working before with no bottom jet?). I replaced the packer, new leathers. There was a check valve on the bottom which was replaced by a foot valve instead.

Primed everything, but pressure would skyrocket to 80-90psi and wouldn’t cut off. Replaced the pressure switch and that solved that issue.

Now the current problem: with the irrigation valves closed, the pump will come up to operating pressure (50psi) and hold. No more short cycling. BUT, when I open a valve, the pressure drops significantly and there is almost no water flow. I have checked the output from the pump and don’t see any obstructions. Ran the pump with the output pipe disconnected about 2ft away and the water flow is similar to a half open garden hose.

I pulled the pump apart, inspected the impeller, inspected the inside of the pump for debris, and inspected the suction and return ports. Everything looks fine, nothing clogged that I can see and nothing broken on the impeller.

What gives? How was the suction fine with the check valve instead of strainer, and with no jet? Could the foot valve be restricting flow? Is the pump just fried from potentially running dry and now isn’t creating enough suction?

Have you had a company out to go thru your system, sounds like your pretty mechanical,with what you've done but, a company could probably diagnose quicker
Did you take the top off the check valve to see it's condition????

Have you had a company out to go thru your system, sounds like your pretty mechanical,with what you've done but, a company could probably diagnose quicker
Did you take the top off the check valve to see it's condition????
I haven't made a call yet, but getting to that point. I didn't take the check valve apart because it was brand new and didn't think it would already be faulty. If it was faulty wouldn't I be losing pressure due to water leaking back down into the well?

I'm not a well guy it just trying to ilminate things there are some very smart pump and well people on this site, when they see your post I'm sure you'll gets better help than me

I'm not a well guy it just trying to ilminate things there are some very smart pump and well people on this site, when they see your post I'm sure you'll gets better help than me
I appreciate the help. I hope someone can maybe point out something im missing

If the pump ran very long without water it probably melted the impeller. I do not know how it was working without a jet in the ejector? Probably lost the ejector when you pulled the pipe. Foot valve and check valve are the same thing except for the screen. If the impeller is still OK I would guess the leathers are not sealing to the casing.

Back