Low water pressure or volume

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been having a problem for the past year or 2 with low water pressure or volume, not sure which one it is, but when I try to run more than 1 faucet at a time the water barely will come out of the second faucet when I open it. Two people cannot take showers without 1 shower just dripping out. This morning I was filling up our spa and my wife tried to flush the toilet in our 2nd story master bath and the toilet would not flush. These are all new toilets which I installed so I know the toilets are not the problem. I main water valve is open all the way so I know that is not the problem. Not sure what else to try but I am getting ready to sell my house and I know this problem will need to be addressed before I sell it.

I checked all the valves under the sinks and the valves are all wide open.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks

The process is piece by piece. Assuming you have all copper or other non-galvanized water supply, then:
Likely, if your main shut off and meter valves are fully open, then there is a impairment somewhere in that main.
A plumber can intercept sections, put sharkbites on and check flow at each piece to deduce the impairment.

I would recommend that you get a gauge and check your static pressure, with no water being used, and then see what happens when you open a faucet. I don't understand a toilet not flushing, if the tank is full it should flush just with out a significant supply?

I need to add some additional information which I omitted...the City of Columbia, SC around 2 years ago installed electronic meters and if I remember correctly is when my water pressure/volume dropped. Before the meter change, I had to keep the water pressure at the main valve lower as it was way too high and I did not want to have any lines in my house burst as my house is around 25 years old. Could that possibly be the problem?

Yes, that changes everything! The new meter must have a regulator in it that is set very low. When you say main valve that must of been a regulator that you adjusted, you can't change pressure with a valve, only volume.

I have seen double check valves that some water service providers use malfunction and greatly reduce flow volume.

Have the water company come out and check their equipment if it’s free. If it’s not free shop around for the best guy at a fair price.

Back