Low Water Pressure in Basement Bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MittenManCity

Reaction score
Please help: I have done extensive research and investigation but cannot find a solution.

I have a basement bathroom that suddenly just lost water pressure for both hot and cold sides. If turning on the faucet or shower, it runs for a period of ~20-30seconds and then just goes to a trickle.
I will type out some facts about the situation.

House: Built in 1995. Suburban Detroit, Michigan. I purchased in 2020. The rest of the home does not have any water pressure issues.

Basement Shower: I replaced the mixing cartridge in September 2021. I have removed the showerhead many times and removed debris (admittedly this bathroom has a lot of debris build up). Extremely low water pressure suddenly just happened last Sunday.

Basement Vanity sink: Same exact issue with water pressure. I had removed aerator many times and removed debris. So, I thought it may be the mixing cartridge in the sink faucet. I removed the water supply line hoses for this sink and ran into a 5gallon bucket two days after water pressure drop. The water gushed from hoses into 5gallon bucket no problem. So, I replaced the faucet altogether (Supply chain issues meant I'd have to wait an age for replacement parts). Once new faucet installed, I ran the water for about 1 minute and initially there was no problem. After a minute though, it slowed to a trickle and how no pressure (hot or cold) in the sink or shower.

Basement Toilet: this is on a completely separate run altogether and has no issues whatsoever.

Other: the water main is in this basement bathroom. The shower+faucet cold line comes directly from a diversion near the water main (so it's about 5-6ft max to shower/sink). The hot line however, comes from the other end of the house which is about 25 feet away.
One other thing to note is that the hot water line to this basement bathroom is off of a separate opening at the bottom of the hot water heater (not the one at the top of the hot water heater, which supplies the rest of the home). I know, it's strange. Original home owner isn't really communicating anything to me either.

I do not know what else to do. I have checked the valves too to see if there was anything partially close, but nothing.
I am completely stumped. Please help.

That water line that’s feeding from the bottom of your water heater is probably filling the faucets up with crap from the bottom of the tank.

Correct that piping.

Then flush the pipes out and replace the parts in your faucets.

This is also what I am lea
That water line that’s feeding from the bottom of your water heater is probably filling the faucets up with crap from the bottom of the tank.

Correct that piping.

Then flush the pipes out and replace the parts in your faucets.
This is what I am leaning toward as well.
What would explain loss of pressure on the cold side then?

This is also what I am lea

This is what I am leaning toward as well.
What would explain loss of pressure on the cold side then?

I don’t know, the shower may be pressure balanced. Choke the hot then it chokes the cold too.

Back