Low Shower Water Pressure - Delta 13 monitor valve/lever

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtminus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in a house built in the 1940s. Original shower controls were two knobs. Amazing water pressure, completely magical. I've never experienced anything like it, truly remarkable!

Landlord just had to re-do the shower due to a leak. They replaced the old two-knob system with a new Delta Monitor 13 single-lever. Appears to be this product: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T13020.html#documents-and-specs Specifications of that product say "1.5gpm max flow" and you can tell.

There does not appear to be any restrictor in the new pipe from the wall, and I am using the same shower head as before, which also has no restrictor of any kind. The only thing that has changed is new pipes and a new shower valve. But the water pressures is GREATLY reduced from the old two-knob system. Luckily it's not terrible, but I used to be able to power wash, it was amazing. But no more.

My question is, what can I do? Is it possible to modify the new Delta Monitor cartridge for higher flow? Can I replace the Delta cartridge and lever with a higher flow model? I'll get this thing on the black market if I have to, not a fan of low water pressure.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I found this video, has anyone else tried this? It involves drilling the holes for the water inlets on the shower cartridge so they are larger. Worked perfectly fror this person

As a renter, I urge caution touching the shower valve. In doing so, you would be responsible for any problems afterwards.

Hi All,

I live in a house built in the 1940s. Original shower controls were two knobs. Amazing water pressure, completely magical. I've never experienced anything like it, truly remarkable!

Landlord just had to re-do the shower due to a leak. They replaced the old two-knob system with a new Delta Monitor 13 single-lever. Appears to be this product: https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T13020.html#documents-and-specs Specifications of that product say "1.5gpm max flow" and you can tell.

There does not appear to be any restrictor in the new pipe from the wall, and I am using the same shower head as before, which also has no restrictor of any kind. The only thing that has changed is new pipes and a new shower valve. But the water pressures is GREATLY reduced from the old two-knob system. Luckily it's not terrible, but I used to be able to power wash, it was amazing. But no more.

My question is, what can I do? Is it possible to modify the new Delta Monitor cartridge for higher flow? Can I replace the Delta cartridge and lever with a higher flow model? I'll get this thing on the black market if I have to, not a fan of low water pressure.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
The 1.5 max flow applies to the showerhead at a certain psi.

Your cartridge and valve will flow plenty if you remove the flow restriction in the shower head. If you still do not get adequate flow then it could be the cartridge has debris in the inlets.

The newer Delta shower heads have multiple flow reducers within them, and normally takes a drill bit to remove them.

The 1.5 max flow applies to the showerhead at a certain psi.

Your cartridge and valve will flow plenty if you remove the flow restriction in the shower head. If you still do not get adequate flow then it could be the cartridge has debris in the inlets.

The newer Delta shower heads have multiple flow reducers within them, and normally takes a drill bit to remove them.
Thanks for the responses. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am using the same shower head as before, an older model with all restrictors removed. It was VERY high flow with the old shower valve system, so I do not believe it to be a limiter in the system. The flow is way lower now with the new 1.5gpm Delta cartridge. I purchased the non pressure-controlled version of my shower cartridge, that Delta specs say is 13gpm, online reviews say it completely changed everything, so maybe that will work for me.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP73598.html

That cartridge is not code compliant and as a renter you are altering a plumbing fixture, I would not recommend. The 1.5 gpm flow rate is for the showerhead that came with the trim kit. The valve and cartridge flow is much higher than that. Have you removed your old showerhead and checked for debris, sometimes that can get in the valve or pipes when things are being worked on and get stuck in the showerhead.

That cartridge is not code compliant and as a renter you are altering a plumbing fixture, I would not recommend. The 1.5 gpm flow rate is for the showerhead that came with the trim kit. The valve and cartridge flow is much higher than that. Have you removed your old showerhead and checked for debris, sometimes that can get in the valve or pipes when things are being worked on and get stuck in the showerhead.
Yes, like I said I am using the same shower head as before, and the water pressure is way lower with the new delta 1.5gpm cartridge. There is no debris, I've let the water run straight from the pipe.

I pay for water already, and the previous system was incredibly high flow, and also "not compliant" (as it was from the 1940s). Suppose I owned the house, would this item work? https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP73598.html

The cartridge is not 1.5 gpm that is for the showerhead that came with the kit that you are not using.

Paying for water is not the concern with altering a plumbing fixture you don't own, if something breaks or doesn't work you could be held responsible for any damages or repairs.

In your house you're more than welcome to do as you see fit.

Whether it works, and whether it is appropriate are 2 different questions. It obviously will fit, but it's the wrong application.

Yes, like I said I am using the same shower head as before, and the water pressure is way lower with the new delta 1.5gpm cartridge. There is no debris, I've let the water run straight from the pipe.

I pay for water already, and the previous system was incredibly high flow, and also "not compliant" (as it was from the 1940s). Suppose I owned the house, would this item work? https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP73598.html
Yes, it’ll work. But you don’t have a 1.5gpm cartridge because Delta doesn’t make a 1.5gpm cartridge.

That cartridge is not pressure balanced and doesn’t meet current plumbing code. That’s your liability, not mine.

Latest posts

Back