Low shower pressure through Symmons Temptrol mixing valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-016

Reaction score
I recently moved into a new place with a shower stall that uses a Symmons Temptrol mixing valve. A couple of weeks after moving in, I went to take a shower and noticed that, while the shower was off, the position of the handle was what would have been about 45 degrees into the on position. When I turned it on, I got very low pressure, even with the shower fully on. I tried taking the cartidge out and cleaning it, but that didn't help. I called a plumber who came in and was stumped too, and I was advised that it was a low pressure valve and that's just the way it was. I was starting to learn to live with it until about a week later when it sputtered and came back to full pressure. The valve also started going back to the original off position.
Today I went to take a shower and now it's doing it again. Any ideas would be really helpful.

Mostly everyone in this forum is in N. America. What country do they have “low pressure” valves? If you mean standard pressure balancing valves…you should search your product on this forum and perhaps Terry Love’s forum, where it has been discussed previously including instructions for rehab.

Symmons makes a flow limiting cartridge thingy.

It’s so your valve won’t call for too much water when you have a tankless that’s not sized appropriately.

Terry’s answer will be replace it with a Toto toilet……that’s his go to answer for most everything.

Last edited:
Okay, so I've taken the valve apart again. I removed the spindle and it isn't seized or anything as it does click back and forth. I did soak it in some vinegar anyway. When I put at all back together, I got full pressure for about one second and now it's back to dribbling again...

Does this faucet have a volume control or diverter built in ?

post a pic of it

Yes there is a volume control on a shower ONLY valve under the handle there is a lever that pushes left or right,that will increase or decrease your volume, there are 2 plastic cartridges,that will fit in we're your volume control is the volume control cartridge is black
There is another one that is white,that's to divert water from tub spout, to shower head,it's possible that the wrong cartridge is in there take the face plate off along with the lever below the handle you should be able to see the color you should be able to get the cartridge at Lowe's or home Depot or symmons is in Braintree mass the may send you one if you need it

Thanks for the suggestions so far all. I've included a couple of pictures of the valve and assembly. The only thing I've seen in terms of volume control are the adjustable valve on either side. I've confirmed that they were completely on and turned them on a bit with the spindle assembly taken apart so I do know that water flows through them. They also don't really seem removable.

20220704_100947.jpg
20220704_103435.jpg
20220704_103413.jpg

I would turn on each stop valve independently with the spindle out to verify I was getting full flow through each side.

Clean the spindle up and reinstall it. It should work.

The tile guy actually buried your diverter cartridge behind the tile look just under the valve body,you will see a round brass price were you volume control lever goes that round brass price threads out with an Allen wrench but you have to score the tile to see it
You could also find the cut sheet for that valve it will give you an exploded view of the valve that way you can see the diverter part that covered by the tile

Last edited:
The third pic, is your stem and hot and cold seats, just to verify flow reinstall the part that threads onto the stem, that way water will come out of were the stem would be open one stop at a time slowly

Well all, I pulled the spindle out again and soaked it in some vinegar for a few hours. I also run a bunch more water through each line while it was taken apart just in case there was any debris in the system. I greased up the spindle and put it all back together and it seems to work. I wish I could point to a definitive issue that was causing the problem, but I guess the important thing is I have full water pressure again. Thanks all!

Take a picture of your valve with the trim on, the lever under the handle moves left or right that should increase or decrease the pressure, I mentioned that your volume control is covered by the tile,that will leak over time you should expose that part of the valve so that part can be replaced

Geofd, there are some Symmons shower valves without the volume control.
M-016, a special Symmons tool is needed to remove the service stops, just FYI.

Geofd, there are some Symmons shower valves without the volume control.
M-016, a special Symmons tool is needed to remove the service stops, just FYI.
I have the kit that symmons makes for their most common valves it does include the tool that loosens the collar over the stop so the stop can be changed yes you are correct about some not having volume controls,the ones that don't have a volume control have a tub/shower diverter, or have a separately piped diverter that goes from tub/hand held shower/tub spout this is for the h.p units the model the o.p is showing is a s-96-2

Last edited:
I would replace the spindle, it's cheap compared to all the time you've already put into it, and will come with new washers. Also inspect the valve seats next time you have it apart, it's possible that one of them is loose or starting to get some buildup. They are replaceable with another special tool, if you do go down that rathole, but inspect them anyway.

Back