Loud shuddering noise whenever I use the fridges water dispenser

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotaigo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a loud shuddering noise either from the pipes or fridge whenever I use the water dispenser. It seems to stop most of the time when I initially stop and then use the dispenser again. But this pattern seems to show up every other time I use the dispenser. I tried closing the water more at the shutoff valve (almost to the point of completely shutting it off) where the fridge is getting it's water supply but to no avail. The last time it did this, it seemed the pipes was groaning and not the fridge.

Sometime many months earlier, not sure if they're connected, but we did have issues with a noise coming from the 1st floor toilet area whenever we flushed the toilet from either upstairs and 1st floor. I was able to stop this noise eventually by decreasing the water shutoff valve regulator.

What's going on?

Thanks in advance.

It could be the solenoid valve, which is a small electrically operated valve usually at the very bottom of the fridge.

When you push the control in the door for water, the valve opens and shuts electrically.

The valves can go bad and get noisy.
They can vibrate or squeal, and the sound can travel through the water line, or resonate from the floor under the fridge.

Did you ever put a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow on it?
That is similar to how the valve can go bad and start getting noisy.

Last edited:
Also have someone get water from the fridge and then you go around and make sure that none of your water lines you can see are rattling.
Could be a line inside the wall too.

Back