Looking for advice on fixing a mistake on shower/tub wall.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baulde

Reaction score
Was doing reno's and had some help from the Father in Law, he did the tiling which turned out pretty good but our lack of knowledge ended in what I believe is something that will be an issue if I don't resolve it.

This is the wall where a shower panel was going to be placed, the hole shown in the attached photo is offset to the left of center where part(s) of the shower panel would have covered it. But I don't think it should be open at all and should be repaired/sealed so even if water gets there it will not get into the wall.

Currently looking for advice on what I can do to properly seal/repair this. I have removed the grout around the tile and am planning on removing the tile currently there. Put some reinforcement strips behind back of the hardy board and then put a chunk of hardy over the hole, seal the outside edges (With something?), seal it with Red-guard and then re-tile.

But, I don't know if this is correct/sufficient. Also, what would be best to seal around the chunk of hardy board going into the gap, as well as the best way to seal around the pipes coming out of the wall through the new tile that will be under the shower panel.

Would definitely appreciate some guidance on this one.

P_20180107_115332_vHDR_On.jpg

Latest posts

Back