Longevity of brass compression coupling joint

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard123

Reaction score
Is brass compression coupling that seals with rubber a good connector for water main line repair done under 4 foot of soil? That is what was used by an excavator to repair a leak that was inside the house from the water main 3-4inches away from the wall. Most plumbers said they didn't have enough room to work with on the inside, and the one that said they 'might' be able to do it, also wanted us to sign a contract for a staggering amount to excavate from the outside if they weren't able to do it from inside.

The excavator originally said he would use a flared joint outside, but on the day of work, he switched to compression. When I questioned him numerous times, and he was adamant that this was the best in the business, and even that the local water company uses it nowadays.

But I just don't trust rubber seals, and I told him that. He offered me reassurances that he replaced more flared joints than compression ones and on the receipt, a note that if it fails, he will do the job again at no cost. But what I am afraid of, AFTER all the work was done, is that this rubber seal will only probably fail in 10-15 years, and he will then be of old age or out of business.

Are my worries accurate? Please tell me I am wrong. I would think that flared connections are better for that kind of water pressure. It's not like he doesn't know how to make a flared joint as he made one for the inside. Please help me get some peace of mind or more sleepless nights. :(

[Editing for more info and clarification]
Compression joint was done about a foot away from the house foundation on the outside. Also, the house is only a decade old so the pipes are not in bad shape. The leak itself was a pinhole leak 3-4 inches away from the concrete(not inside concrete) in the basement, and only produced a drop every minute or so. There was some corrosion type green stuff where the leak was. The excavator said this was due to the concrete eating the pipe or something to that extend. He wrapped the new pipe couple of times with electrical tape to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited:
I stopped reading when I read '' That is what was used by an excavator to repair a leak that was inside the house from the water main 3-4inches away from the wall.''

NO. it is against code for any joints to be made under a concrete foundation

exception<<<<<>>>>> a joint can be under the concrete if it is brazed with 15% sil-floss

silfloss .jpg

I stopped reading when I read '' That is what was used by an excavator to repair a leak that was inside the house from the water main 3-4inches away from the wall.''

NO. it is against code for any joints to be made under a concrete foundation

exception<<<<<>>>>> a joint can be under the concrete if it is brazed with 15% sil-floss

No, you misunderstood. He didn't make the joint inside the foundation, but about a foot away from house foundation. I added some additional info at the top.

Last edited:
I would have used Flare, but the compression is legal

was the water turned on and the connection visually inspected for leaks?

then, was the pipe ''bedded'' before it was buried to prevent movement?

or did they just dump dirt clods on the pipe as they backfilled?

Last edited:
I would have used Flare, but the compression is legal

was the water turned on and the connection visually inspected for leaks?

then, was the pipe ''bedded'' before it was buried to prevent movement?

or did they just dump dirt clods on the pipe as they backfilled?

Yes, I checked for leaks from above while he did it in the hole using his fingers.

I asked how he was going to fill it because there was a lot of rocks that came out, especially large ones. He said he is going to fill it with soil for two foot and then put the rocks on and the rest.

But is the compression joint long lasting, or as lasting as flare?

Back