Lock-on Type Copper fittings.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worahm

Reaction score
Are the new lock-on fittings suitable for replacing a single lever shower valve? The space in the wall is very limited and I would like to avoid using a torch, if possible. I am certain they will work but do they meet the plumbing code?
Bill

Are you referring to Sharkbite fittings? Most professionals will only use them in exposed placed, for fear of them blowing apart with high pressure.

Can you open the wall behind the valve, do the proper soldering, then patch? That is the correct way to do it.

Are you referring to Sharkbite fittings? Most professionals will only use them in exposed placed, for fear of them blowing apart with high pressure.

Can you open the wall behind the valve, do the proper soldering, then patch? That is the correct way to do it.

Thanks for reinforcing my own thoughts. The SharkBite fittings use two O rings and advertise they are good to 150 psi. There is a small access panel located in a closet on the back side of the shower wall. I am certain I can do it but I really don't like using a torch inside a wall. I will keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Use an asbestos cloth, found for about $10 at Home Depot. It is fireproof and you can use it in the wall cavity to prevent a fire ALONG with a close by fire extinguisher.

Are the new lock-on fittings suitable for replacing a single lever shower valve? The space in the wall is very limited and I would like to avoid using a torch, if possible. I am certain they will work but do they meet the plumbing code?
Bill
Have you thought about getting the shower valve that is setup for PEX? I buy Moen shower valves set up for PEX from my supply house rather than a big box. If you do that, all you have to do is crimp or cinch the rings, no soldering involved.

Have you thought about getting the shower valve that is setup for PEX? I buy Moen shower valves set up for PEX from my supply house rather than a big box. If you do that, all you have to do is crimp or cinch the rings, no soldering involved.
You will still have to solder a joint to convert from copper to pex.

You will still have to solder a joint to convert from copper to pex.
Correct. Usually, when I do this in my rental properties, I am bringing pex up from the basement, so there is no soldering involved.

You can solder the copper to pex fittings outside of the wall. Do as much as you can out in the open
and then install the body in the wall.

Soldering two lines is a lot safer than soldering everything else in that space. If this person is afraid
to solder a pex fitting on the hot & cold line then for safety reasons maybe he should get a plumber in and do it for him.

Have you ever seen a compression fitting blow off? I have. It is ugly and often very costly. But if done correctly, it could be a safe alternative, but still not as secure as soldering.

I have not seen one blow off, and I have used them on many occasions. I most often use fixture stops with compression fittings. They are commonly used with CPVC adapters, going from copper to CPVC.

Use an asbestos cloth, found for about $10 at Home Depot. It is fireproof and you can use it in the wall cavity to prevent a fire ALONG with a close by fire extinguisher.
Thanks for mentioning the asbestos cloth. I will pick one up today. I usually use a ceramic tile to cover any wood that is close to where I am soldering. I like the asbestos cloth idea better.

Back