Locating Buried PVC Water Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freecrowder

Reaction score
I have used a poker rod and prodded in plces that 2 plumber have thought my water line should be. This is the line from the pump to the water closet in house. The 1" PEX line is buried and connected to the well through pitless adapter. Who would have the equipment to find the line? Can I rent it somewhere? Help!!

Lol call me a liar but 8” 8 gauge copper wire. Straight as you can it. Lay it inside fist. The width of you palm is wear you wanna make a Bend. Little past 90 degrees. On the short side take your wire cutters and fashion a point on end. That point will rest on your pinky. Let the long end slightly droop down with a loose grip to let wire move on its own. Run some water in bathtub. While water is running. Go outside and zig zag across where you believe the straightest point from meter to foundation entrance of water line. The copper wire will react to the flowing water. First pass might move wire out of position. Just find that point on pinky where wire sits and spins freely. It gets me close enough to dig a hole. Sometimes flowing water will energize the minerals in water and set off a metal dectector but that was 1 well that was heavy in iron. So can’t justify that. An old timer well driller can do this fast. Called witching for water

They make line locators which have a device which screws onto a hose connection, and create a water hammer. You then use a highly sensitive microphone, to listen for the water hammer and the line is where it is loudest. I have one, but have no idea where you would rent one.

Option two, push a copper wire up the line, and use a metal locator, or a radio generator detection unit, connected to the wire to locate the line. You may be able to find the radio units at larger rentals centers.

Or, call one of the line locator companies that locate lines for the utility companies, and work with them to locate it. They have the right equipment. They have a problem with the plastic pipe. If you are willing to push a wire up it, they can easily find it.

Latest posts

Back