Liberty pump for 2 full basement bathrooms and a kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
I read a lot about Liberty sewage ejector pumps and hear they are very good. My plumber agrees. He showed me which one he would be installing P382LE41. I believe it simply pumps out up to 2" solids. I'm sure the pump is fine, but after doing further research on their pumps, they also sell grinder pump models which claim to annihilate feminine products and rags and such. I will have tennants, so this is a plus for me and I don't mind spending the extra money for the grinder model to avoid any future problems.

However, I spoke to Liberty pumps on email and they recommended something similar to what the plumber wanted to use. I asked them about the grinder model and they said they wouldnt recommend it because it may cause problems with my septic system if I'm pumping to a septic tank.

The way my sewage system is designed is, all the waste goes to my septic tank(solids) then as the septic tank fills up, the liquid will overflow to a cesspool.

1) I dont see why a grinder pump would cause issues and maybe you guys could shed some light on this and what type of problems this would cause verse the regular model. If anything, I thought it would help the septic system with everything being grinded up. The grinder model Im referring to is the P382XPRG101/A2

2) If I did go for the grinder model instead, they either come in 115v or 230v. Any reason why I should choose the higher voltage model over the other or vice versa?

Thanks.

The grinder pump will break up and suspend solids innthe solution that’s then conveyed to the leech field/cesspool where it can create a biomat that’s similar to a pond bottom that will not drain.

I personally do not like the small containers that I’ve seen from liberty.

I like having a custom basin that I can custom cut the inlet and outlets. The liberty basins I’ve seen have a predetermined inlet.

I’m not sure, but I’ve never seen basin extensions from liberty. It appears they need to be installed shallow and that reduces the flexibility on some jobs.

I think people like those liberty prepackaged pump systems because liberty does make a descent pump and the prepackaged units are easy to install.

Last edited:
The grinder pump will break up and suspend solids innthe solution that’s then conveyed to the leech field/cesspool where it can create a biomat that’s similar to a pond bottom that will not drain.

I personally do not like the small containers that I’ve seen from liberty.

I like having a custom basin that I can custom cut the inlet and outlets. The liberty basins I’ve seen have a predetermined inlet.

I’m not sure, but I’ve never seen basin extensions from liberty. It appears they need to be installed shallow and that reduces the flexibility on some jobs.

I think people like those liberty prepackaged pump systems because liberty does make a descent pump and the prepackaged units are easy to install.

Yes I think I remember you saying the inlet on the Liberty basin is shallow. If I remember a spec on one I looked at, I believe it said 5". In my case, the bathroom fixtures are withing 10' so I dont think I'll have an elevation issue.

I know what you mean with the cesspool getting that film or whatever on the bottom and not draining properly. But I have seen that happen even without any pumps. Are you basically saying that a grinder would make this happen faster? If so, are we talking months, years? For some reason Im thinking the benefit of not having the pump clog with accidental non-flushables and having to service it very often does not out-weigh the maybe once a year or every other year septic service. I could be wrong, just brainstorming here.

I’m not sure how long it take to have trouble. But I wouldn’t install a grinder on a septic.

But you can have if you’d like and there are no inspections or maybe you’ll get an inspector who doesn’t know or check.

Grinders are typically a good bit more expensive than 2” solids sewage pumps. I’ve seen some of them get jammed up with baby wipes and tampons also.

We ONLY use the Liberty Pro duplex when doing any job.
It is all pre plumbed and includes alarm, NEMA 4 junction and is a great setup. Still have to buy check valves and big ball valves as with any system.

Attachments

• Rich St Liberty Ejector top.JPG
    Rich St Liberty Ejector top.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I wouldn't let tenant put anything but toilet paper and what come out of your body, the 2" does grind but only small debris, it's just a bad habit they will get into, the next thing you k ow they are flushing wet wipes!!!!

Back