Leaky Tub Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noideawhatimdoing

Reaction score
I have a freestanding tub in my bathroom with a leaky faucet. For the past couple of weeks, it has been a slow drip, but it just turned into a steady drip in the past couple of days. When I turn the dial to switch the shower on, the drip switches to the shower head. I tried to look online for information on how to fix this type of faucet, but nothing that I found really looks like what I have (see attached picture). Any ideas about what the problem might be and how I should go about fixing it?

IMG_1136.jpg

Mmight just be standard bevels and washers. Turn water off, take apart at handles and hit your hardware store.

Ok, so I ended up taking apart the handles, and discovering that the faucet has cartridges that need to be removed. Unfortunately, I am having a lot of trouble getting them out. I can't tell if they are threaded in there, and need to be turned out, or if the can just be wiggled and pulled out. I have tried everything, and can't get them out. I'm attaching pictures. If they need to be turned out, it seems like the area to hook on a wrench is way too narrow. I can't seem to get a grip on it. I went to the hardware store, and they loaned me a Moen cartridge extractor, which I haven't been able to get to work either. I've watched videos to try to figure out how it works, but what I have doesn't seem to match up with what's on the videos. Plus, any time I try to pull on the cartridges, I pull the whole faucet/pipe setup sideways, so I can't really get a lot of leverage. Any ideas?

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Put a wrench or a deep well socket on the brass hex nut and twist off counterclockwise.

Back