Leaky leaky crawl space

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtich85

Reaction score
Okay new home owner and new to this thread. I want to say thank you in advance to anybody that takes the time to read this.

I recently found a wet spot under the house that appears to be coming from this pipe. The pipe is coming off the water pump and dead ends distal of a ball valve. Looks like it is a slow drip coming out of the pipe. I wanted to field some opinions before I go down there and start ripping things apart. I have not been able to determine why the ball valve was installed or when exactly it drips. The area around the pipe is very wet and I am concerned about it impacting the foundation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

IMG_0050.jpegIMG_0052.jpegIMG_0051.jpeg

Last edited:
You'll have to remove more dirt to confirm where that leak is originating from. I do know those pvc elbows are prone to breaking, and is a quick fix. I had one snap under a bed of concrete and it cost me thousands to fix. Fortunately for you, it won't be bad at all.

You'll have to remove more dirt to confirm where that leak is originating from. I do know those pvc elbows are prone to breaking, and is a quick fix. I had one snap under a bed of concrete and it cost me thousands to fix. Fortunately for you, it won't be bad at all.
I suppose that is good news. I had not considered that it could be the elbow. When I feel the inside of that pipe coming to a dead end it is wet so I just assumed. You absolutely right though, I’ll have to figure that out. I guess the only thing that had me scratching my head is I just don’t know what this pipe is or why I need it. Considered capping it off instead of replacing the valve.

I suppose that is good news. I had not considered that it could be the elbow. When I feel the inside of that pipe coming to a dead end it is wet so I just assumed. You absolutely right though, I’ll have to figure that out. I guess the only thing that had me scratching my head is I just don’t know what this pipe is or why I need it. Considered capping it off instead of replacing the valve.
Okay I took your tip and removed all the dirt. It is 100% coming from the ball valve (circled in red). The water is leaking out the end of the pipe. I have no idea why this pipe was originally ran but it doesn’t go anywhere now. So my options are replace it with a working valve or cut it and cap it. Which do you think is going to be less problematic?

Attachments

• IMG_7868.jpeg
    IMG_7868.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7870.jpeg
    IMG_7870.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7873.jpeg
    IMG_7873.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7872.jpeg
    IMG_7872.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Is that a wellhead?
You know what - I don’t know. This house was built in 1983. It has galvanized and PVC pipe running all over the place (even some copper - not touching galvanized). We have a water bill and the county collected samples once a year. There is a meter in the front yard. However, this pump does appear to run into half the house (PVC only) - I still havn’t identified the source for the rest of the house. Additionally, there is a breaker labeled “well”.

Two home inspections and neither could tell me with certainty what was happening. To make things much worse I have absolutely no idea how to turn off the water (not with certainty).

Attachments

• IMG_7880.jpeg
    IMG_7880.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7879.jpeg
    IMG_7879.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7878.jpeg
    IMG_7878.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Before cutting and capping, I'd recommend you bring in a professional, preferably local plumber, who can go over your water system. They can also tell you how to shut off water in an emergency, which would be extremely valuable information.

Latest posts

Back