Leaky bathroom sink lift rod

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
I have a slight leak coming from my lift rod hole. The yellow putty seems to have worn down. Do you think I could patch it up with some epoxy putty without taking the sink apart? I've never used epoxy putty before.underneath sink upsidedown.JPGunderneath sink upside-downcloseup.PNG close-up

Last edited:
Its leaking somewhere else and dripping through there.
The top of the sink is dry and I just put some silicone around the rusty lever edges, so I don't think the leak is coming through the top. The silicone is old and the bottle was broken, so it might not cure, but I don't think that's relevant right now. I don't know where the leak could be coming from. Do you think the sink would have to be taken apart to find the leak?

Attachments

• top of sink.JPG
    top of sink.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This is usually an indication that the small plumbing components inside the faucet have failed or split. If it’s really really old (doesn’t look like it), you can usually fix leaks by rebuilding them. Newer faucets, it’s usually a sign the thing is shot. My condolences. I don’t think a patch job will hold back the water. It’s leaking slow, but it’s still under the same pressure as everything else.

That putty you see is mostly used to give the faucet a little cushion to grip it during install, and to prevent water from up top from leaking down.

Wouldn’t hurt to see if your faucet has a rebuild kit, and take it apart. Maybe a washer is bad. But usually when I see it leaking from there it ends up being one of the little copper supply lines developed a split.

Latest posts

Back