Leaks between plastic female and metal male adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nganchris

Reaction score
I installed a GE whole house water filter couple of years ago. It has 1" female plastic connectors (for water in and water out). My house is on 3/4" copper so I used metal 1"-3/4" male/male adapter.

One of the 1" connection give me a hard time. I had to wrap about 15 layers of tape before it stopped leaking.

Yesterday, after I changed out the filter, I notice a slow leak (like 1 drop every couple of hours is developing on the 1" female.

Instead of doing 15+ layers of Teflon tape, I am thinking doing 5 layers Teflon plus a generous amount of Tru-Blu dope. is there a problem with this approach?

Last edited:
I agree with John, and whenever I do anything that's under constant pressure like water lines, I tape and dope. 3 wraps and then dope and I rarely have leaks.

I am generally not comfortable connecting Brass MPT to plastic FPT. I looked hard and cannot really find any ready made 1"MPT - 3/4" MPT adapter in any material. Recall I am trying to go from 1"FPT plastic to a 3/4" MPT (which I did in the past with a 1"-3/4" Bushing reducer and a 3/4" nipple).
What do you folks think about me making one up using CPVC? It takes a 1" Male adapter weld to a reducer. Then a short 3/4" pipe weld between the reducer and a 3/4" male. Is this bettern than using brass reducer and nipple?
Thanks

PS: BTW, the leaks is actually a tiny cracks on the brass reducer. Roughly a drop a day is coming out of the side wall of the reducer. All thread connections are dried. Yes, the part is made in China!

Last edited:
If you have cpvc water lines , use a 1'' cpvc mip and a 1''x3/4'' cpvc bushing. If you have copper,pex,or galvanize, use a 1'' cpvc mip , 1''x3/4'' cpvc bushing , a short piece of cpvc pipe ,then a 3/4'' cpvc/brass mip or fip for transiting to which ever piping you have.

Hey IFIXH20 thanks for highlighting the need for 3/4" transition adapter as I will be connecting a brass fpt to the cpvc. When I saw the transition adapter in the store and did not think much of it and ended up buying an all cpvc adapter. Now it clicked - will go back to get one. Thx

Glad we could help hope everything works out for you.

Latest posts

Back