leaking wax ring on my toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybermut2000

Reaction score
I had to replace my toilet's wax ring after a maijor drain clog in the sewer/soil? pipe that goes straight down about 12/15 feet, I got that Snaked and flowing correctly. Since then I recently had to replace the wax ring as it was leaking again and I was told by my wife that the house was fliped and new fixtures were installed and that before we got married that they had to fix the wax ring with in the first 6 months. ok now this is a lot of back story but to get to my total issue the wax ring was replaced by me about 2 years ago, I tried using 2 wax rings and found that in my particular setup whis is probbaly normal the wax smooshed out and in to the drain pipe sort of blocking the pipe a little bit I had to set the toilet twice that day. I recently had it start to leak again this time I had to set the toilet 2 times before finding that the flange was damaged and needed to be replaced and off i went to HD found the matching flange for like 5.77 took it home and installed it then set the toilet with one of those reinforced noseep rings and still it leake not like a gush or any thing but just enough to bee seen around the base of the toilet
now I remember that wnein I was replacing the wax ring it would not easily stick to the bottom of the toilet around the horn infsact I took a putty knife and tried to scrape some wax on the underside to give the ring something to adhear to but it just wanted to peal off with what seems to be no residule wax left on the bottom ofthe toilet is this my problem? I have not had any problems with the floor being wobbly or that it moves the subfloor when sat on even by a heavy person trying to rock back and forth to see if the floor moved from the underside of the floor it did not i did not test set the toilet with no ring to see if the flange is touching the closit flange but did not seem to have any probs in that respect like the toilet rocking or failing to sit flush with the floor

please help!!

it is a pvc flange like exactly the same as was there it slides in to the soil pipe with no twisting or seal between the pvc and the cast iron but I dont have leaks in the basement as a result of that either

I sure hope you screwed it down to the floor. If not when you tighten the closet bolts you may be pulling the flange up to the toilet instead of pulling the toilet down to the floor. One other thing, are you sure your leak is coming from the wax seal? If the wax seal is leaking it should also be apparent in the basement.

John

I have seen brand new toilet bowls leak in the casting, and if that is the case, no wax ring will be able to fix the leak. There should definitely be a seal between the cast iron and the PVC flange. Even if it doesn't leak, sewer gas can find it's way out into your home through that unsealed joint.

yes I did screw it to the floor, the reason I replaced it was because the closet bolts had pulled through he flange slots.
the house was built in 1921 and has cast iron soil pipe any ideas on how to seal that with out sealing it permently thereby not being able to be replaced?

cybermut2000 said:
I had to replace my toilet's wax ring after a maijor drain clog in the sewer/soil? pipe that goes straight down about 12/15 feet, I got that Snaked and flowing correctly. Since then I recently had to replace the wax ring as it was leaking again and I was told by my wife that the house was fliped and new fixtures were installed and that before we got married that they had to fix the wax ring with in the first 6 months. ok now this is a lot of back story but to get to my total issue the wax ring was replaced by me about 2 years ago, I tried using 2 wax rings and found that in my particular setup whis is probbaly normal the wax smooshed out and in to the drain pipe sort of blocking the pipe a little bit I had to set the toilet twice that day. I recently had it start to leak again this time I had to set the toilet 2 times before finding that the flange was damaged and needed to be replaced and off i went to HD found the matching flange for like 5.77 took it home and installed it then set the toilet with one of those reinforced noseep rings and still it leake not like a gush or any thing but just enough to bee seen around the base of the toilet
now I remember that wnein I was replacing the wax ring it would not easily stick to the bottom of the toilet around the horn infsact I took a putty knife and tried to scrape some wax on the underside to give the ring something to adhear to but it just wanted to peal off with what seems to be no residule wax left on the bottom ofthe toilet is this my problem? I have not had any problems with the floor being wobbly or that it moves the subfloor when sat on even by a heavy person trying to rock back and forth to see if the floor moved from the underside of the floor it did not i did not test set the toilet with no ring to see if the flange is touching the closit flange but did not seem to have any probs in that respect like the toilet rocking or failing to sit flush with the floor

please help!!

Use a regular depth wax ring without the cone...if flange is too low and can't be fixed try stack n seal extensions to bring height up

Back