Leaking toilet - All remedies have failed at this point

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace the entire toilet and stop wasting time. I installed a BRAND NEW toilet last September and it had very slight leakage. Like you I was discovering wetness under the tank with my hands only. Left for a while it would drip. Wasted time and money with new bolts, gaskets etc. When I took the tank off the base and examined it closely outside in the sun it had a hairline crack. I went back bought the same toilet at the same store swapped the tanks and sure enough no more leaking…

He hasn’t replaced everything.

He didn’t replace the flushvalve...

So the way I see it, it’s probably the flushvalve.

I get calls like this on a regular basis......” I’ve done EVERYTHING “

But in reality it’s just a simple fix, and they haven’t done “ everything “.

Yes, indeed it COULD be the flush valve. These are not nearly as common to find (for a homeowner, you, @Twowaxhack are a pro so that's different) to replace as a fill valve. Most of us normal folk have to go to a home center, and there you have the Korky and Fluidmasters, mostly fill valves. Then you have the assortment of flappers, tank bolts and even the gasket between the tank and bowl. But the flush valves aren't as common to find. What can also be off-putting for a homeowner is you generally need one big-ass wrench for the giant hex nut, and not everyone has that...another cost...and then compatibility between flush and fill...

But cracks happen. I've seen it myself, and was totally mystified. How could this pass quality control, Kohler?? Lesson learned: inspect the tank CLOSELY prior to assembly. If it LOOKS like a crack, it most likely IS a crack. Even the most subtle of cracks is enough to leak. It doesn't take a lot of brute force to assemble a tank to a bowl, or the connect the fill line to the fill valve. If there is a leak it may indeed be a crack, not the way you assembled it.

And to your point, it would not surprise me if a brand new toilet had a defective flush or fill valve...

I'm just for not wasting a tremendous amount of time fooling around with things...rarely has it ended well.

Here's a signature from someone on a car repair forum. Applies to a lot of newbies here too. ;)

It is impossible to help individuals who will not listen to advice unless they like that advice. Being a good assistant is not about making the person assisted "feel good," but about both asking the right (and sometimes hard) questions as well as giving the information necessary to achieve the desired result. Getting help is a two-way street, and those asking for help have work they must do, too, when asked. They also need to be ready to let go of what they'd prefer to do, and instead do what's asked for.
/30

Replace the entire toilet and stop wasting time. I installed a BRAND NEW toilet last September and it had very slight leakage. Like you I was discovering wetness under the tank with my hands only. Left for a while it would drip. Wasted time and money with new bolts, gaskets etc. When I took the tank off the base and examined it closely outside in the sun it had a hairline crack. I went back bought the same toilet at the same store swapped the tanks and sure enough no more leaking…
I'm pretty cheap so a toilet is Plan Z. I'm also learning a lot in going through this exercise. Last night I broke down and broke out the silicone. Sealed the split on the liner I posted a pic of above. Also dabbed a bit on the lower gasket of the flush valve. Today, no leaks. If the leak comes back though it will be new toilet time.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Latest posts

Back