Leaking shower valve brass to copper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
I sweated in a brass shower valve today. I ran out of Teflon tape and was in a rush. Figured with a good wrench down on the female copper fittings I’d be water tight.

3 out of the four copper females to brass valves are leaking.

So I could redo the work with Teflon tape.

Or can I solder the brass valve threads to the copper female fitting? That would save me lots of time.

I know the brass valve is solderable. Pics online show 1/2” pipe running straight into the portion with male threads.

(I’ll pull the cartridge before I sweat it).
b83e36500787eee7c1c7b7934a1607a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you cannot

also most of the time you don't need to add the females you can simply just insert the pipe into the body and sweat it directly into the male end

No you cannot

also most of the time you don't need to add the females you can simply just insert the pipe into the body and sweat it directly into the male end

Thanks!!! I’ll sweat directly into the male end.

I tried to sweat on and it didn’t talk the solder happily.

Can you explain why soldering into female copper to the male brass won’t work? Would like to understand this a bit better.

You need to have to have 2 clean surfaces that are fluxed. Trying to do what you want to do does not meet that criteria and not recommended

Not only do you need to clean it and flux it good but you have to make sure there is no water. Open a valves in the house
and let them all drain down.

Latest posts

Back