Leaking shower drain questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ymg200

Reaction score
Hi,
The shower in the 2nd floor bathroom is leaking, resulting the water dripping from the ceiling of the 1st floor bathroom that is right under it.
At first I wasn't sure if the leak comes from the piping or from the drain, so I plugged the drain and filled the shower pan with the water. That did not produce dripping from the ceiling underneath. Then I stepped into the shower and literally danced around the drain - this produced the dripping from the ceiling underneath. So it looks to me that the problem is that the fiberglass shower pan flexes around the drain and that produces the leak. If I take the shower and don't step around the drain, then there is no leak.
1. I want a professional plumber to fix this leak. What quote am I looking at? (approximately)
2. If the drain needs to be replaced, is it a good idea to use a top installed drain (like WingTite) in order to avoid opening the ceiling underneath, or it is better stick to a traditional drain?
3. If the ceiling underneath does need to be opened, is it a good idea to install an access panel instead of closing the hole in the ceiling so that the drain is easily accessible if the problem happens again?
Thanks all!

Your gonna have a lot of hits from guys that don’t understand putty. They are going to tell you to seal with caulk. But we can all agree that the base needs stuffing to stabilize. I use expanding foam. Get under some how. I can drill 1/2” holes every 1’ square and spray foam in and around those holes. Test in 2 days by standing. Then fix drain. Cut trap stand pipe. Unthread old drain. Get new glue pvc drain. Glue a 2’ piece of pipe on. Let it dry for an hour. I carry the whole drain already glued to pipe. Now find your putty. Role out a pencil size tube shape about 1’ long. Wrap 1 time around drain flange. Push it and semi flatten it out. Then drop new drain in. Now the glue pipe comes into play. Pull down don’t wiggle but twist slightly. Pulling straight down. Wipe away every stitch of putty you see from under neath. Leave the extra up top. Then ease your rubber washer up and your nut. But back up. Put Vaseline on threads of nut. Get nut started. Tighten with hand. Pull down again on pipe. Tighten nut with hand. Then put the big multi drain wrench on it or 18” channel locks. Couple of times of thrust then your golden. Wipe away excess up top and glue your stand pipe back. Removing the putty up under is the biggest secret. Then the pulling to spread it is just little secret

ymg200, you are very smart to say you want a professional plumber to fix this.
I recommend replacing with a brass shower drain and using expanding foam as Jamesplumbing06 notes.
I personally have not used the wing type drain fitting, so no comment.
Access panel should not be necessary but open that sheetrock up and get air circulating with a fan immediately to prevent mold growth. Mold growth starts right away in closed environments.

ymg200, you are very smart to say you want a professional plumber to fix this.
I recommend replacing with a brass shower drain and using expanding foam as Jamesplumbing06 notes.
I personally have not used the wing type drain fitting, so no comment.
Access panel should not be necessary but open that sheetrock up and get air circulating with a fan immediately to prevent mold growth. Mold growth starts right away in closed environments.
Even the brass drains too. Follow the putty directions. I typed above.

Thanks all for your suggestions. What should be the quote from a professional plumber to replace the shower drain? I just want to know the order of the price in order to prepare myself mentally. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back