Leaking P-Trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBrockman13

Reaction score
Good Day

I am seeing a slow to steady leak coming out from beneath this slip nut where the pipe enters within the threaded trap adapter (hope I have my lingo correct for you). When I remove the nut, it does appear there is a gap where the pipe has been inserted. What is the best way to seal that off to rectify the issue? Putty? some tape? Maybe I need to even replace those two pieces? I appreciate the assistance. New house, lot's of projects.

IMG_0333.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

Looks like the arm is going in crooked. Swing the p-trap to the left a little and see if it can be straightened
up a some.

Looks like the arm is going in crooked. Swing the p-trap to the left a little and see if it can be straightened
up a some.
Tom, that was exactly the issue. I hadn’t even noticed for I was fixated on the leak area. I moved it up slightly, and it now sits better. I also adjusted the washer in where the p-trap enters the drain stubout. All fixed and thanks fine sir. Wish I could buy you a drink.

The trap arm is still a few inches too short.
Tom’s advice was on the money, the pipe was going in crooked.
But when you swing the trap to straighten the entry angle of the arm, the arm gets even farther away.
From the view of the tailpiece, you can see the trap is already being fudged towards the trap adapter.
Spend the six bucks and get a new p trap kit, and leave the trap arm long enough this time.
You are still in danger of that fitting popping loose or dripping.
And people tend to bang stuff into the trap when shoving stuff under the sink.

I like the trap weir to extend into the drain at least 3”. I shoot for full depth socket connections when assembling tubular

Back