leaking mystery pipe??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkeegan27

Reaction score
hi,
I noticed a few spots of water on the basement floor but couldn't find where it was leaking from until today. I peeled back the insulation in-between the floor joists which revealed two pvc pipes. one looks like a 2.5/3 inch and the other looks like a 3.5/4 inch pipe with radon written one it. Both pipes have what looks like some kind of internal cap but the one with radon has a slow drip coming from it. Any ideas what they are or why one is leaking? I was guessing it was condensation from the changing temps we are experiencing. Thank you in advance.

also, house is 10 years old

Not to familiar with Randon, but it is a natural occurring form of radioactive gas that escapes from the soil in some geologic areas. The tubes are install to allow that gas to escape and not build up under your home.

Could be just condensation like you say. best to check with local experts and research randon a bit more

Not to familiar with Randon, but it is a natural occurring form of radioactive gas that escapes from the soil in some geologic areas. The tubes are install to allow that gas to escape and not build up under your home.

Could be just condensation like you say. best to check with local experts and research randon a bit more

thanks for the reply
here is a pic..... definitely not a functioning system.

IMG_0401.jpg

Some code(s) call for new homes to have roughed in radon abatement and if the home purchaser doesn't spec a radon fan, the exhaust plumbing will be there for future use. If the radon tube exits the roof, it may not have a rain cap.

Back