Leaking Joint in Vent Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axolotl

Reaction score
When it rains, water runs down the inside of our vent. Apparently one of the joints is bad, because it escapes the pipe at the joint, and then runs down the outside of the pipe and creates a moisture problem inside the wall. The leak area is circled in the photo. The house is about 35 years old and I think most of the black pipe is original, but I suspect the white piece that leaks was added sometime later. No wastewater flows through this joint, as it is above the level of all the drains in the house.

What is the best option for repairing it easily? I'm not much of a plumber. A professional we had here a few years ago used a rubber sleeve with two hose clamps on a similar pipe. I hadn't seen that before, but it looked pretty straightforward. Any issues with it being so close to the hot water supply line? The white piece is about 3-1/2 inches long. Should I cut it out completely? Any problems with the rubber coupler spanning that far?

DSCF4770.jpg

Here is a wider view for perspective:
DSCF4772.jpg

Last edited:
Back