leaking check valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzz

Reaction score
My system is losing about 5 lb a day. I've tracked it down to a leaking check valve allowing my pressure tank to return water to my well. The check valve is in an awkward position and I really don't want to fight with it. It's in a corner close to the floor about 4' from the pump. I would like to put a second check valve close to the pump. I can do the work but I'm not a plumber so I can't be sure that it won't cause problems. Anyone?

Picture would help. But it should not be a problem to put another check valve on the discharge of the pump. You can even put one on the suction side, which I like better. Sorry for your problem. Check valves are just one of many things in a pump system that are destroyed from the pump cycling on and off too much.

Thanks. The leaking check valve is on the suction side of the pump and it's my thinking to put another one on the same side closer to the pump. And perhaps a shut off valve as well. I don't think the pump cycles a lot but I don't have a lot of experience to reference it against. None actually. I never thought of putting a check valve on the discharge side. I do have a shut off valve there now that I can use in case of repairs. I suppose closing that could cause something of a vacuum effect to stop the water returning to the well. But I'm afraid what would happen is the the pressure switch would not be 'seeing' the tank pressure and would cycle extremely rapidly.
This leaking check valve a new wrinkle. I'm going away for a week soon and I think my best bet is to just leave everything alone. Usually I turn off the pump in case of plumbing leaks. Last time I did that I had prime it when I got back. At 5 lb per day I expect the pump will only cycle once or twice a week barring any other leaks.
Other than the leaking check valve the system seems to do what we need it to do. We've been here 25 years and the pump wasn't new when we got here. I guess it cycles a couple of times when we're doing laundry. The video went pretty far over my head but I will look into the CSV thing.
Thanks again

The check valve should be on the suction side. But you can put one on the discharge before the pressure tank if you move the pressure switch to after that check valve. I would not put any ball valves on the suction or discharge of the pump, only one after the pressure tank. Just turn off the pump if you need to make repairs. A ball valve on the suction or discharge can destroy the pump if accidentally left closed.PK1A jet pump with foot valve.jpg

Latest posts

Back