Leak under carpet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watdoino

Reaction score
So, there was a bit of water on the carpet last night, didn't really think anything of it, except it was there this morning too. small, like 3x3, I soaked it up, but it seemed weird, so I checked it about a half hour later and when I pressed the towel into the carper I still got water on the towel. Ok, so I know I have a leak at this point but I don't know from where, it is in the hallway outside the bathroom, but there's not like a direct line of wetness.

Of course its Friday, so I called 2 plumbers and still waiting for someone to call back.

Here's my question, I turned the water off, but the water heater is still making that noise like its heating up water. How long should it keep doing that. Its an older one, I think its from 2003

Just to mention ........... If you have turned off the water input it would be a good idea to also shut down your water heater.

should I just do that from the fuse box, do I need to do anything special so I dont damage it?

Just to mention ........... If you have turned off the water input it would be a good idea to also shut down your water heater.
should I just do that from the fuse box, do I need to do anything special so I dont damage it?

If you have your water turned off, yes, you should turn off the water heater as well. If it is a natural gas or propane water heater, shut off the gas and shut down the water heater. If it is an electric water heater, go find your main circuit breaker box, open the breaker box door, and hopefully you will find a schematic or your breakers labelled. Look for water heater, and flip the switch to the off position. If not labelled, then it is time to get someone in there ASAP to help you identify which breaker shuts down the power to the water heater.

For those who are casual readers, now is the time to learn how to shut off all systems in your house, before you actually need to. Do you know what to shut off if you see water coming from under a sink? Under a wall? From a exterior sprinkler line? From your ceiling?

Better yet, do you know what you shut down if you see sparking coming from an electric outlet? A smoking television?

I'm not trying to lecture anyone, but make sure you have the ability to shut down your gas/water/electric systems now.

If you have your water turned off, yes, you should turn off the water heater as well. If it is a natural gas or propane water heater, shut off the gas and shut down the water heater. If it is an electric water heater, go find your main circuit breaker box, open the breaker box door, and hopefully you will find a schematic or your breakers labelled. Look for water heater, and flip the switch to the off position. If not labelled, then it is time to get someone in there ASAP to help you identify which breaker shuts down the power to the water heater.

For those who are casual readers, now is the time to learn how to shut off all systems in your house, before you actually need to. Do you know what to shut off if you see water coming from under a sink? Under a wall? From a exterior sprinkler line? From your ceiling?

Better yet, do you know what you shut down if you see sparking coming from an electric outlet? A smoking television?

I'm not trying to lecture anyone, but make sure you have the ability to shut down your gas/water/electric systems now.
Done, thank you...Much appreciated!
Now tell me how to get a plumber to call me back...lol j/k

Go to a neighbor and ask if they have any references to good, local plumbers. Also, many plumbing supply stores and yes, even big box Home Depots have a source of local plumbers, who will call you back quickly. My feeling is they don;t want to call me back, either they are very busy (that is a good thing) or don;t want to waste their time to help little old you (this is a bad thing!)

Latest posts

Back