Leak through ceiling below

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am scratching my head on that moisture meter going through the material. If he hit a grout joint, sure, I could see moisture wicking up from the pan via the grout. That would be normal. Is this how he is determining moisture?

You had the remodel done 1+ years ago and it just started? Was something damaged/altered?

If you want to redo the tile I say go for it - BUT fix the leaking fitting while you have everything apart :rolleyes:
Nothing..just happened few days back..I noticed a wet spot on the ceiling below. The pros think water got in there somehow and was small enough and just accumulated. We checked all the supply lines and everything looked fine and dry.

Has the ceiling been opened up to see where the water is coming from?
Only the spot where the wet spot was...the rest of the ceiling looks fine ..and the joists and sub floor on either side of the opening look absolutely dry. The Infrared scan confirmed it too

I too am scratching my head on that moisture meter going through the material. If he hit a grout joint, sure, I could see moisture wicking up from the pan via the grout. That would be normal. Is this how he is determining moisture?
Yeah..it was one of them Restoration company techs

So to all your expert eyes does it seem plausible for a small leak (say from bench) to pool over time and then make its way to around the drain and leak out of there (see pic earlier)? That spot and nowhere else?

What substrate do you have under the tile in the shower? Kerdi, Schluter, solid pan, hot tar?

So to all your expert eyes does it seem plausible for a small leak (say from bench) to pool over time and then make its way to around the drain and leak out of there (see pic earlier)? That spot and nowhere else?

The easiest answer is typically the right answer...

Was the shower used regularly?
Nothing has been altered/damaged/dropped on (edit) before it started?
You do not see any cracks in the tile/grout?
Where is the bench in relation to the drain (distance)?
Where is the drain in relation to your valves?

Not saying it's impossible, although very improbable, but if the shower has not been used for a week and it's still dripping I'd be looking for a pipe/fitting/ connection

Last edited:

Not saying it's impossible, although very improbable, but if the shower has not been used for a week and it's still dripping I'd be looking for a pipe/fitting/ connection
The bench is roughly 14 inches from the drain. Nothing was altered etc..and other than the occasional drop of the shampoo bottle etc..nothing heavy ..the wall and bench are subway tiles..but the floor tile is this rougher jagged design...may be a crack somewhere..everything visibly looks fine though

Also, the valves are about a foot or so from the drain. Behind that is the toilet room. All those areas look dry as does the corresponding spot below on the ceiling.

Another few days, did the dripping stop? Another thought, are there accessible shut-off valves for that shower/bath? Did you shut them off?
The dripping hasn't stopped. Feels slower but still leaking...Yeah, the folks are coming over to review options. We haven't shut off yet...but at this point, with nearly a week of no shower use, we are thinking it is a supply line issue but have to open up a few spots to see. It does seem like a tiny leak that is taking a very specific path to leak.

One piece of insight..before we stopped using the shower..we ran water for troubleshooting...and the drip seemed to be about the same. We need to check again, but it seems when water is running (shower) or not, the drip is still on going at about the same pace. A drop every 90 seconds or so. And always at the same spot along the permiter of the drain flange. There is a screw there (holding the drain flange to the sub floor) and it almost seems that the drip is along that line.

Yup, supply line fitting... (much "less expensive" than a retile :O))
Hoping so! The supply lines are on the vertical wall obviously..and the leak is through the floor..this darn leak seems to have found a path of least resistance...plausible???

So further update. More of the ceiling was opened up and absolutely dry except for that wet spot around the flange. Spots below the supply lines look absolutely dry and show no wet or dark spots.

I had another plumber come and take a look. He thinks either the drain flange cracked/damaged and water could have seeped in there somehow. He said it might not be a lot but with no where to escape, it slowly is making its way out.

His culprit is the drain area

So one suggestion was to remove the area around the drain, seal it (membrane or epoxy was mentioned) and re-install the tiles.

I thought supply lines too, but seeing that area below.and the dry wall behind everything looks dry- not sure how water could have traveled if it was one.

Frustrating!!!

This is simple......if no water is used in the shower the leak should stop.

if it never stops then it’s the water pipe.

simply not using the shower for a while will tell you what’s leaking.

This is simple......if no water is used in the shower the leak should stop.

if it never stops then it’s the water pipe.

simply not using the shower for a while will tell you what’s leaking.
Yeah...but one would expect spots where the supply lines are to show some wetness, right? ..unless it travels from vertical lines along the floor to the drain..if water is trapped there ..perhaps does need time to trickle out

Yeah...but one would expect spots where the supply lines are to show some wetness, right? ..unless it travels from vertical lines along the floor to the drain..if water is trapped there ..perhaps does need time to trickle out
I wouldn’t expect anything. I just wouldn’t use the shower and see if it stops dripping. Simple

Latest posts

Back