leak that pulses

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNIM1498

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a leak in my wall that is coming down into the basement. It is running down the stack. I Live in a townhouse style condo, I share the stack with the person next to me. The layout is the same just inverted. Any work with plumbing in the wall is covered by the association. They sent a plumber out and he ripped a hole in the wall underneath the neighbors sink. They couldn't find anything leaking or couldn't reproduce the leak unless they poured water on my counter. The water apparently gets on the counter from when I do dishes iand is getting in the crack around the sink and leaking down. So all I had to do is caulk around the sink and the problem should be solved. Two weeks later I noticed the leak again. I called the plumber and told him everything that I have noticed with the leak and he still thinks it coming from outside the wall- which I will have to pay for. If that's the case I would rather tear apart my condo to look for the leak then them to charge 1700 to say they fixed the problem when they didn't.

This is what I noticed.

-the leak is not constant. Sometimes it leaks for a couple days then it stops for a couple days.
-the plumber when they first came over to diagnose the problem filled my kitchen sink with water. Once filled they turned on the garbage disposal and it started to leak. - after I noticed the leak was back I repeated that 3 or 4 times in a row and could not reproduce the leak. However when I was doing that the neighbor said water started coming up through her kitchen sink.
- I ran kitchen sink and dishwasher(first floor) and had someone flush the toilet (second floor directly above the kitchen) and every time they flushed the toilet a stream of water came down.
- Yesterday it was leaking when I just ran the bathroom sink (second floor) and nothing else. When the bathroom faucet was running I noticed the leak pulsating i.e. it would come down in stream and then stop for about ~5 seconds and then the stream would come down again. I turned off the faucet and the neighbor was not running anything and the water continued to pulsate. It slowed down but was still pulsating 20 minutes afterwards, it maybe slowed down to about ~20 seconds in between streams. After the 20 minutes I had to use the kitchen sink and started to get annoyed with this.
- I was running the dishwasher(first floor) and water started to backup into to the stationary sink (basement).

I told the plumber all of this and he still thinks the leak is coming from outside the wall. I have looked underneath the kitchen sink pulled out the dishwasher and there was no water. I looked underneath the bathroom sink and around the toilet everything is dry.

Is there anything I am missing? Or is this all B.S. and the plumber is trying to cover his a** because he didn't fix the leak?

It sounds as if clogs are the culprit and the leaks are a side effect, exposing weak connections in the piping. From what you have described, I would start with clearing the drains and ensuring good flow without back ups.

Latest posts

Back