Leak or no leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justhisgye

Reaction score
I was on the phone to the water board and I was advised that I am using far more water than I should and that I should check for a water leak. I turned the boiler off and took a meter reading and waited half an hour and took another reading. The difference between the 2 readings was 85. I turned off the mains supply and took 2 (identical) readings 30 minutes apart. The water board advised that 85 means 85 litres and the results of the readings indicates that the leak must be internal to the property and that I need to call a plumber.
I cannot hear any dripping or see any evidene of a leak on the property. My brother said the leak must be underground and therefore responsibility is with the water board or a faulty meter which is also responsibility of the water board.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful. Thanks - and thanks for accepting me as a member!

I know you said turned the boiler off, just want to clarify, do you mean "valve' it off,have you put dye in your toilet tank,how about outside faucets,is your grass's greener were the water main would be
Do you have irrigation

Boiler - I switched off the electricity supply to it. I have not put dye in the tank.
There is one external faucet but it hasn't worked for years - it has been isolated from the supply and pipes removed which was one of some jobs arranged by the council to enable wheelchair access. Admittedly I have wondered if it would be worth a closer inspection but there is no sight or sound of a leak there.
No I don't have rrigation

Thanks

Turning off the power to the boiler is not useful, you need to turn off the water supply to individual appliances and see when your leak stops.

Putting food coloring in the toilet tank and seeing if it shows up in the bowl (without flushing) is one of the easiest things you can do, and toilet leaks are pretty common.

If the leak is after the meter, then it is your responsibility to pay the bill and fix the leak.

Latest posts

Back